[sudo-discuss] Proposal to Galvanize

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 05:31:43 PST 2013

Hey all,

Excited to discuss tonight, hope you can make it.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone, wanted to share a few thoughts.

   1. On The Dangers of 2141 Broadway - as far as I see it, we're here, and
   it's going to take quite a bit of energy to confirm an alternative with the
   right critical mass of folks. To rent out an extra room is equivalent to
   saying "We haven't signed a lease on an alternative for this January, let's
   put our stuff and ourselves some place for now, especially if we don't have
   any space at all". With a month-to-month contract, I shared my reasons in
   the first email about why I think it's valuable to do this. In fact, we're
   lucky to have the option at this time.
   2. On Fund-Raising - I do think there will be some way to intelligently
   combine the budgets of a small number of groups to share the third office.
   Knowing just a few interested parties should get the ball rolling. If we're
   building up to make serious financial commitments together, I see this as
   pretty close to the minimum in terms of financial commitments, a first
   step. By all of this I also mean that I don't think the cost will be
   prohibitive to raising more funds, given the back-of-the-envelope
   estimations for alternative spaces so far.
   3. On The Office - I believe splitting the room about ~18 ways would be
   possible. On the other hand, I think there is likely a better set of chunks
   than even division. To give more detail, I think we could probably do
   something more like:
      1. Some significant portion of the space is rented by one or two
      groups, up to say a third or a half. ($300 - $400 / mo)
      2. Some shared desk space is available for folks that need an office
      space (3 x $50 / mo)
      3. Some storage space is available for folks that need storage only,
      or storage along with room usage. (3 x $50 / mo)
      4. A few more desks are rented and managed as a co-working component,
      say as "sudo work" or whatever, that I am interested in
coordinating. (6 x
      $50 / mo)