[sudo-discuss] Conflict resolution item for Wednesday meeting

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 22:14:29 PST 2013

This is not a sudo room vs Timon conflict - it's a George vs. Timon
conflict. Having been in the space last night, I can report that Matt's
call to George was simply a followup to Friday's conversation, in which
George had told Matt that Timon had been kicked out of the building and
that he couldn't be in the sudo space. Matt told Timon as much, and that
his being in the space could jeapordize our lease, and Timon peaceably
agreed to stay out of sudo room.

Matt followed up with George to say that while we could border the
boundaries of sudo room proper, and that Timon had agreed to stay out of
sudo room, we couldn't control who had access to the common space (and that
Timon was currently in the common space - but he didn't say anything about
him bothering anyone). At that point, George asked Matt to call the police.
Matt refused, saying this was an issue between George and Timon, and that
it was completely out of line to put us (sudo room) in the middle of a
landlord-tenant conflict. He also asked George not to give the police his
number.

About 15 minutes later, Matt received a call from the police on behalf of
Sonitrol (the building's security contractors - George put Matt's number as
primary point-of-contact several months ago, despite numerous requests for
him not to). I was also in the room for this conversation, and Matt's
response was essentially, "This is not our issue. The landlord has kicked a
tenant out of the building and it's between them." Matt answered their
questions to the extent of supplying them with some descriptive
characteristics (name and height), but did not provide anything further (no
personal complaints or allegations). After the call, another sudoer present
informed Timon that the police had been called by George, and Timon left
the common space. All present in sudo room at the time were uncomfortable
about the police being invoked, and none of us would willingly bring them
into our space regarding a nonviolent interpersonal conflict (had that even
been the case).

Sudo Room has a conflict resolution process for dealing with conflicts in
the community that was written in large part by Matt himself. However, we
have a contractual obligation to our landlord that makes this particular
situation complicated (as we do not own the building and have no
jurisdiction over the landlord's decisions). Had Timon actually been
bothering people in the space at that time, Matt would have either talked
to him directly or requested mediation by another sudoer. Hopefully this is
an unintentional miscommunication between George and Laurie, but it seems
they are trying to put sudo room in the middle of their conflict with Timon.

Hoping this clarifies things so we can spend more time on Wednesday
investigating our new potential spaces rather than a conflict that is not,
in fact, between Sudo Room and Timon.

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://thepyre.org