[sudo-discuss] Possible new sudo space

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Tue Dec 3 15:48:14 PST 2013

>Or should we wear pistols in holsters and hope that visible deterrence is worth a damn against hardened criminals who might be cranked up on meth?
open carry is now illegal in the state of california, but I hear more concealed carry permits are being issued by alameda county sheriffs due to reduced local PD staff, should you choose to go that route.

also, reactionary ranting is usually not worth reading.  might want to reconsider whether generating these text walls is the best use of your time as more and more people skip over them.

i MEAN what i've SAID here btw ;)  it really is baffling to me that anyone would use so much of their time this way.

cheers,
hol

Dec 2, 2013 08:13:26 PM, g2g-public01 at att.net wrote:

      ChrisBee:  What you SAID was this:

      "Feel free to disagree with me, but when I hear/read discussions
      about this based around "how safe is so-and-so compared to
      such-and-such area" I think "Wow, if that isn't
      privilege/entitlement/self-absorption then I don't know what is."
      Not saying that any of you are, but I'm just saying."

      So if what you SAID is not what you MEANT, now's your chance to
      un-SAY it.

      As my friends around here know, my safety-sense is calibrated to
      err on the side of false-positives, and on that particular
      occasion I got a false-negative, with the result that I and the
      person I was with got held up at gunpoint.  The gal who was
      physically assaulted and robbed of her tablet was sitting in front
      of DeLauer's, and three assailants were involved.  The guy who got
      his windows smashed (twice) was parked outside SR.

      So: How much paranoia is justified, or should we get
      concealed-carry permits and shoot any random JoeBob who approaches
      us on the streets at night?  Or should we wear pistols in holsters
      and hope that visible deterrence is worth a damn against hardened
      criminals who might be cranked up on meth?

      The fact that you've been robbed, you've had friends who've been
      robbed, and had a couple of friends die (presumably shot) (someone
      I knew also died from a gang shooting) should, if anything,
      disabuse you of the attitude that "being aware of your
      surroundings" is sufficient to avoid an early meet-up with the
      Grim Reaper.

      But instead you come up with this in your latest missive:
      "[don't'] assume everything is going to be fine if, say, you
      decide to send some drunk texts while walking through Ghost Town
      at 3 am."

      Excuse me but I've never been drunk in my life, and I don't even
      own a cellphone (I get all the surveillance I want for my taxpayer
      dollars, why pay another $600/year for even more?).  The guy I was
      with wasn't drunk or texting either.  The gal who got assaulted
      and robbed wasn't drunk; she was reading on her tablet, but it was
      at a bus stop in a brightly lit area with lots of people coming
      & going.  The guy whose car windows got smashed: hmm, should
      his car have been more paranoid?, or should his car get a
      concealed-carry permit?

      In point of fact some parts of Oakland ARE safer than others.
      Look up the crime maps and see for yourself.  Whether, on balance,
      SR should locate in whatever-neighborhood depends on a lot of
      things including affordable space and access to public transport,
      and I'm not opposed to taking calculated risks or making
      tradeoffs.  But there's a world of difference between _that_ and a
      smug callous attitude toward other people's safety and other
      peoples' lives.

      As for keeping the personal attacks out of it, you bloody well
      fired the first shot, or rather, tossed a big honking hand-grenade
      of a personal attack with your line about
      "privilege/entitlement/self-absorption."  So don't be surprised at
      the blowback.

      -G.

      =====

      On 13-12-02-Mon 7:17 PM, Chris Bee
        wrote:

          What I meant was that if you spend any amount of time in
            Oakland it behooves you to be aware of your surroundings and
            not assume everything is going to be fine if, say, you
            decide to send some drunk texts while walking through Ghost
            Town at 3 am. I realize that not every "I got robbed in
            Oakland" story starts like this but you'd be surprised at
            how many do.

          BTW I am not the douchebag you seem to think I am. I've
            been robbed (in Temescal no less), had close friends robbed,
            even had a couple friends die as a result of shit like this
            so it's something I'm pretty familiar with. I'm not saying
            what I'm saying lightly, I'm saying this because I don't
            want sudoers to think that one part of Oakland is
            necessarily safer or less safe than another part. So let's
            keep the personal attacks out of it, it's a shitty thing to
            go through but we shouldn't take shots at each other.

          -chrisbee

          On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM, GtwoG
            PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net>
            wrote:

                Re. Sonja:

                Exactly what I've done: not gone back to SudoRoom after
                having had a gun pointed at my guts right in the
                doorway.  Chances are at least one person reading this
                is pleased with that outcome, but at least four I know
                aren't.

                Re. ChrisBee:

                Right, blame the fucking victims, three or four of us
                that I know of who've been robbed, assaulted, or had car
                windows smashed and stuff stolen coming & going from
                SR or parked nearby, and possibly one or two I missed.

                Let's see, where have we heard your line of bullshit
                before?... she shouldn't have been wearing those clothes
                either...?  I take it you agree with that too.

                I'll quote you directly for what comes next, just so the
                context of my reply is clear:

                  "Feel free to disagree with me, but when I hear/read
                  discussions about this based around "how safe is
                  so-and-so compared to such-and-such area" I think
                  "Wow, if that isn't
                  privilege/entitlement/self-absorption then I don't
                  know what is." Not saying that any of you are, but I'm
                  just saying."

                So it's "privilege/entitlement/self-absorption" to value
                being in a safe location where you're less likely to be
                subjected to violence on the street?  I'm going to say
                something to you that I haven't said to anyone in a damn
                long time:  Go fuck yourself.

                -G.

                =====

                    On 13-12-02-Mon 6:02 PM, Sonja Trauss wrote:

                    Yeah but what if taking
                      responsibility for your safety means not going
                      where you've been robbed before?

                      On Monday, December 2, 2013, Chris Bee wrote:

                            (shakes head, sighs)

                              I've said it before and I'll say it
                              again...in most cases, putting the onus of
                              personal safety on a neighborhood is
                              totally missing the point that YOU ARE
                              RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, full
                              stop. Saying that you are (relatively)
                              more or less safe depending on where you
                              are is...is...well, it's wrong thinking on
                              so many levels that I don't even know
                              where to begin.

                            Feel free to disagree with me, but when I
                            hear/read discussions about this based
                            around "how safe is so-and-so compared to
                            such-and-such area" I think "Wow, if that
                            isn't privilege/entitlement/self-absorption
                            then I don't know what is." Not saying that
                            any of you are, but I'm just saying. I like
                            and respect my sudo peoples...a lot. That's
                            why I'm pointing this out. I don't want
                            anyone to be lulled into a false sense of
                            security/anxiety by thinking that just
                            because you're in one area bad shit is less
                            prone to happen to you, or vice versa. It's
                            on all of us to be aware of what's going on
                            around us and to be prepared to deal with
                            whatever situations may come our way, alone
                            or otherwise. Good Samaritans
                            notwithstanding, the cops are...well, the
                            odds of them being there when you "need"
                            them (I personally don't) are next to nil,
                            and they only seem to make things
                            complicated after the fact.

                          What we should be focused on is locating
                            an affordable space that meets the needs of
                            BAPS/sudo/CCL.

                          Sorry if I seem a little impatient but
                            I've seen too many important discussions get
                            derailed like this, and right now I think
                            this is pretty high on our list of immediate
                            concerns.

                          And again, If anyone wants to straighten
                            me out on this issue I'm all ears/eyes.

                          Respectfully,

                          -chrisbee

                            On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Sonja
                              Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com>
                              wrote:

> Oh man I'm I
                                total idiot, I just realized where 8th
                                and Alice is - I saw "8th st" and "near
                                BART" and thought you were talking about
                                w Oakland BART.

                                        On Tuesday, November 26, 2013,
                                        Pete Forsyth wrote:

                                          Sonja, given