[sudo-discuss] Possible new sudo space

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Mon Dec 2 20:13:18 PST 2013

ChrisBee:  What you SAID was this:

"Feel free to disagree with me, but when I hear/read discussions about
this based around "how safe is so-and-so compared to such-and-such area"
I think "Wow, if that isn't privilege/entitlement/self-absorption then I
don't know what is." Not saying that any of you are, but I'm just saying."

So if what you SAID is not what you MEANT, now's your chance to un-SAY it.

As my friends around here know, my safety-sense is calibrated to err on
the side of false-positives, and on that particular occasion I got a
false-negative, with the result that I and the person I was with got
held up at gunpoint.  The gal who was physically assaulted and robbed of
her tablet was sitting in front of DeLauer's, and three assailants were
involved.  The guy who got his windows smashed (twice) was parked
outside SR.

So: How much paranoia is justified, or should we get concealed-carry
permits and shoot any random JoeBob who approaches us on the streets at
night?  Or should we wear pistols in holsters and hope that visible
deterrence is worth a damn against hardened criminals who might be
cranked up on meth?

The fact that you've been robbed, you've had friends who've been robbed,
and had a couple of friends die (presumably shot) (someone I knew also
died from a gang shooting) should, if anything, disabuse you of the
attitude that "being aware of your surroundings" is sufficient to avoid
an early meet-up with the Grim Reaper.

But instead you come up with this in your latest missive: "[don't']
assume everything is going to be fine if, say, you decide to send some
drunk texts while walking through Ghost Town at 3 am."

Excuse me but I've never been drunk in my life, and I don't even own a
cellphone (I get all the surveillance I want for my taxpayer dollars,
why pay another $600/year for even more?).  The guy I was with wasn't
drunk or texting either.  The gal who got assaulted and robbed wasn't
drunk; she was reading on her tablet, but it was at a bus stop in a
brightly lit area with lots of people coming & going.  The guy whose car
windows got smashed: hmm, should his car have been more paranoid?, or
should his car get a concealed-carry permit?

In point of fact some parts of Oakland ARE safer than others.  Look up
the crime maps and see for yourself.  Whether, on balance, SR should
locate in whatever-neighborhood depends on a lot of things including
affordable space and access to public transport, and I'm not opposed to
taking calculated risks or making tradeoffs.  But there's a world of
difference between _that_ and a smug callous attitude toward other
people's safety and other peoples' lives.

As for keeping the personal attacks out of it, you bloody well fired the
first shot, or rather, tossed a big honking hand-grenade of a personal
attack with your line about "privilege/entitlement/self-absorption."  So
don't be surprised at the blowback.

-G.

=====