[sudo-discuss] Bike Smut update!

Vicky Knox vknoxsironi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 18:08:45 PDT 2013

I'm personally in favor of donations-based events rather than having a
mandatory cover for any event that's coordinated via Sudo Room. BUT, this
was a weird grey-area given that we're an open space and Bike Smut has
historically been a paid event. Could a hybrid system exist?

Another major question for me is the intersection between exclusivity and
safe space. Hacking sexuality in an open space like Sudo Room is in my own
experience really pushing my boundaries. In my own experience I have only
hacked sexuality in the safety of spaces used exclusively for that purpose.
This is a major reason why I'm inspired to do these events here--I want sex
positivity to be a more open way of being. I think this might be one pro of
having a paywall, but I hate paywalls, so relating to my first question,
can/should we create exclusivity/safe space via a different route?

I really want all your thoughts so that we can find what makes everyone
happy. I don't know the answers--I don't know anything! :P Details of the
event are just being ironed out and input like this is really valuable.

I also think this might even be a whole other conversation to open up on
the question of mandatory-pay events in general, and also splitting/asking
for donations from people who host events in the space and co-coordinating
events with the Public School.

(oh, and speaking of the Public School, I had already spoken with David
about the event, and he says cool and that it wouldn't conflict with
anything they're doing.)