[sudo-discuss] meetings, learnings from biohacking

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 08:33:16 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Marina Kukso <marina.kukso at gmail.com>wrote:

> for the biohackers is a working meeting a hacking meeting or a meeting
> where business relating to the functioning of the group gets done? because
> if it means the latter, then our meeting is supposed to be that :P

Typically more of the latter, because of the stage the bio group is at, at
the moment. But as long as we're making significant progress towards having
a functioning DIYbio lab, it's all good.

We also have a "general meeting" for the East Bay DIYbio group (every last
friday - coming up tomorrow!) that is more about making introductions,
exchanging cool ideas, socializing, etc. Which is also essential for
building a community, but if we only have that kind of meetings, we'd never
get any of the boring logistics done.

"General meeting" and "working meeting" is just what I've started calling
them, and nobody has called me on it yet ;-) For the first "working
meeting", we set it up over email among some of the key members, because we
wanted it small and focused enough to actually get anything done. But I
think as long as we advertize that this is a *working* meeting, and that
people will be expected to contribute and get something done, they will
automatically self-select accordingly.

Maybe sudoroom needs a separate "general meeting" that is more free-form,
and not focused on rules issues etc? Heck, I might even come to those! ;-)

Patrik