[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [hackerspaces] Radio Shack Hackerspace Challenge seeks challenger

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Thu Apr 18 09:34:00 PDT 2013

radioshack is the shit.  they have been around forever (at least since my dad was building analog stuff as a kid) supplying hobbyists with components.  trays and trays of raw components, breadboards, all sorts of weird last minute shit you forgot to order and i know it's saved my ass from having to wait for a second shipment to come in from thailand (futurlec- great prices but expect to wait 2 months) to get started on a project - i was pleased to see that they've kept with the times and stock arduinos, etc.  i would have no problem if all we got was some supplies from radioshack to stock sudo room.  they totally rip people off on cords and other consumer trinkets, but i suspect it goes to subsidize their hobbyist section, and frankly i am not one of those people who will buy a $20 usb cord anyway.  i don't mean this as a plug, just a defense of them as a legitimate business that i have relied on throughout the years and i hope they are around for a few more generations so...yeah i'd probably take a free hat or duffel bag too.  red bull is a mere beverage in the eyes of the gods.

as far as ideas, what about:
-a quad copter gang that lands in formation to set up a solar powered ad hoc wifi network?  one trick would be pivoting the solar panels from vertical to horizontal, or we could fix them out to the side like a satellite.
-a device incorporating a few servo/string/feather and servo/laser pods, PIR sensors, and a webcam to allow you to give your cat exercise remotely.  ideally you could record different macros for endurance, cardio, etc. and play them back at the push of a button from your smartphone
-something with LEDs and some sort of biofeedback.  i have been scheming on an alarm clock that simulates sunrise colors...would be nice if it could sense your breathing rate (with autodetection of multiple people breathing? up to 3 or how many?) and respond to irregularities by slowly turning on some pink noise to stimulate a return to REM sleep.  or a headsup display for jogging/biking.

hol