[sudo-discuss] KopimismSect revival - Possible gitmerge with public school poetry group to create SudoRoom Chants

Eddan Katz eddan at clear.net
Fri Apr 12 16:01:45 PDT 2013

In connection with the Chants and Prayers practice group, I've been suggesting that we come up with a hymnal-type compendium of something that can be contributed to and edited on our wiki. This also makes it easier for someone who has not yet participated in the emergent chants and prayers this initial group may come up with and be able to catch up in not too long or at least reasonably pretend to do so with a device that can access the Internet.

Relatedly, one of the most impactful things that I've imagined the Sudo-Kopimism branched effort can have is on the liturgical publishers markets. These are often very lucrative publishing houses because you need to have a whole bunch of these books at every congregation that's the latest edition and accredited by the belief system association that approve such things.

It would be neat to provide a wiki platform for canonical religious prayer books and texts. It could serve as the repository for the public domain and creative-commons licensed alternatives of prayers books or ritual compilation volumes in the wide variety of different denominations, ritual communities, belief systems, etc. - whatever the community standards in Oakland would consider spirituality.

By slicing off the layer of excess licensing profits - maximized by frequent edition updates and a lack of competition - churches and temples and prayer centers in Oakland could spend a lot less money on these publications. In fact, the extensibility created by having the core texts for a wide range of organized services could make for more meaningful experiences by being more easily customized to the relevant congregation.