[sudo-discuss] Friday Filosophy, April 12: Crowdfunding!?!

Eddan Katz eddan at clear.net
Fri Apr 12 11:41:44 PDT 2013

Running late - Filo speciality may not be part of today's session. Hopefully the Athenian Deli will be open (an uncertain assertion).

The following blurb is also for the TechLiminal Lunch Box next Wed., Apr. 17. Please contact Evan Savage through Tech Liminal for more about that.

Crowdfunding. What does it mean and how does it work? Why is it the biggest buzz word since social media? Will it really circumvent the flow of investment capital to bypass Wall Street? Can it stimulate new jobs in the small business enterprise and contractors markets?

Is there anything more to this than passing around a hat for donations amongst your friends and family in order to do a project you and they know will never be completed? What is the Securities Exchange Commission worries about that is delaying their implementation of the Crowdfunding provisions of the JOBS Act, which was supposed to go into effect in January?

We will address these questions, more or less. We will at the very least read all of them out loud at the beginning.

Please also note the text below about the wiki, mailing list, and background resources I had sent around a few weeks ago.

>> We will be collecting background resources and commentary on crowdfunding to fill out the JOBS Act page on the Sudo wiki -http://sudoroom.org/wiki/JOBS_Act.
>>
>> To sign up for the list, please go to:
>>
>> In addition to discussion, we will use the mailing list to collaborate on crowdfunding related projects. The first one being the drafting of public comments on behalf of Sudo Room (http://www.sec.gov/spotlight/jobsactcomments.shtml). You can see the comments currently submitted to the SEC athttp://www.sec.gov/comments/jobs-title-iii/jobs-title-iii.shtml.
>>
>> There are a bunch of them, so I think the most substantive comments to perhaps start with are the two Rockethub white papers on Regulation (http://www.sec.gov/comments/jobs-title-iii/jobstitleiii-39.htm) and Implementation (http://www.sec.gov/comments/jobs-title-iii/jobstitleiii-39.htm).

sent from eddan.com