[sudo-discuss] privacy and violations; nym rights and other.

Paul Ivanov pi at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 11 15:35:05 PDT 2013

Hey everyone,

Jenny Ryan, on 2013-04-11 14:57,  wrote:
> Rabbit: the IRC channel is not logged and never has been

I think this is missing the point. Just because you don't know of
a bot logging the IRC channel, it does not mean it isn't being logged.

The same goes for an email list you're on: regardless of
"official" policy, *any* subscriber to the list can archive *all*
of the conversations on it.

I'm sympathetic to stripping email addresses, but not to removing
postings themselves. Given the minimum barrier for joining the
list, and that 'nym rights' is part of this thread's title,
anyone is welcome to create (and possibly share) an email
account, resender, or proxy intended for anonymity.

If we want to stay inclusive, and allow anyone to join the list,
then we *have* to assume that anything sent to the list is public
(because there's no filtering for who gets to be on the list, and
no protection for what they might do with that information after
they get it).

best,
--
Paul Ivanov