[sudo-discuss] Instant 24/7 access? Do we allow for this? And how?

rusty lindgren rustylindgren at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 11:56:56 PDT 2013

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I would point this out, since it came up earlier in the dues
thread.  But, Marc's point(a very good marketing point about 24/7 access),
has as a big security exception, we didn't really talk about, probably
mostly because of time.

Basically, it's easy for us to think "hey, we should let this person have
access, because they seem cool, and we want to remain open," but even I get
sketched out at night sometimes, and there are real safety issues at work
here, and we should discuss them in relation to cost/benefits for the
space.  It's also entirely possible that we trust someone, and they just do
something bad anyway.  We don't really spend a lot of time thinking about
this, but this is something we haven't had to really deal with yet, because
we've had really shitty access up until now.

I don't know if my survey asked this question properly, but I was trying to
see if 24/7 access was worth more to people as a value, but I think for
some people it could be a safety draw-back, and at least in 1 case this is
true.  I also am not sure it's really something we should be promoting, if
we do decide on it being okay for members to do.

If anyone wants to post about how they feel about this(I think it really is
about feelings in this case, because it's about promoting membership and
establishing wants/needs), then please feel free to reply here.

Thanks,

Rusty
**