[sudo-discuss] Survey on Money at the space(please reply to this)

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 4 03:21:23 PDT 2013

Yo's-

1.  I'm presently paying $100/month, per the recommended $60 + some
additional to cover folks who are in difficult economics.  I'm one month
behind but will be catching up as soon as more of my clients' payments
come in.  In any case this is about as much as I can afford to pay as
regular monthly dues.

2.  I'm satisfied with any degree and type of access that lets me in
without generating data that are mined by outside entities.  Physical
keys, digital keys of various kinds on in-house systems, intercoms,
contraptions, etc., are all good.  I do believe in selectivity and trust
before giving new members unlimited access (see 4).

3.  Spending money on re-branding: YES.  We need a consistent logo and
graphic symbols, and they should be truly aesthetic and expressive
rather than a make-do.  Now that we have someone with expertise in
branding, we should be able to come up with something that everyone
likes, and start using it.

4.  If I was a burglar, robber, rapist, etc., I'd be utterly thrilled at
getting a keycard for unlimited access the moment I joined.  I'll "hard
block" on giving unrestricted 24/7 access to new members the moment they
join.  Principle: safe space.  Anyone who has a real interest in
membership in the community ought to be willing to wait for some
reasonable period of time, and demonstrate a reasonable level of
participation, before they get a keycard.

5.  Free T-shirts:  Yes for people who are in economic difficulties; yes
for everyone if that's part of a plan to gain higher visibility and
attract new members.  Other than those two cases, we can pay for
T-shirts, and that will ensure that every T-shirt goes to someone who is
actually going to wear it.  Just giving them to everyone the moment they
join, might end up with some number of them going unworn and thus going
to waste.  This applies generally to various branded items: it's good to
give them away where they'll be visible, but not so good to give them
away if they aren't appreciated and won't be visible.

Relationships of all kinds, including community, mean more when you have
to make some effort for them.  "Open" isn't the same thing as "easy."
"Easy" is "easy to take for granted," and is also perceived as "oh
SudoRoom must be pretty boring if they're that desperate for new
members."  People value what they have to work for.

Another thing we should do for fundraising and for publicity: open
public events.  The lockpicking thing generated huge publicity.  We can
create other events to publicize, and those can be free to members but
with a requested donation by nonmembers who attend.

-G.

=====