[sudo-announce] Hack the Gallery Inauguration tonight

Patrick Schmidt psbschmidt at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 22 12:06:21 PDT 2013

Dear friends,

tonight as a community we are reclaiming an awesome community space in
north berkeley
in the storage room of a vacant theatre.

there are several interesting things about this new hackerspace to be
inaugurated tonight:

- it is being transformed to a hackerspace from a art gallery
- it is a public space as soon as the door are open, random people
come in all the time
- it is a opportunity to educate the public about our movement
- community art shows and lots of events are organized via Open Meetup Groups
 (that means anybody can step up as an organizer)
- the space hosts Meetups for free as long as they are free of charge
and dont discriminate against anybody
-the password of the Zyxel Wifi is "weareallconnected"
- we are focussing on arts, crafts, projects, collaborative projects,
community projects
-Saturdays at 4pm we feature (inspired by Sudo's today i learned)
travelling hackers (YOU!?) to teach a class
-Saturdays at 6pm we have a project update and overview
- after that potentially we have art shows and evening events
-The rules are only "be excellent to each other and say hi " (and be
nice to the neighbors that we share the restroom with)
- conflict resolution is " if you are excellent there should not be a
conflict, but if there is , take a deep breath, talk slow, talk about
it,  look for a unifying spirit to help out, or take it outside"
- we are about collaboration and the community coming together, we do
not support hate, fear, discrimination, ...
-we are an Open Community Space from the people for the people.

Why is this interesting to Sudo?

- first of all this place could never made the transformation without
the inspiration from Sudo, a big thank you to all of you guys,
specially Matt and Marina, Michael,...
- you have a new place to hang out and check out in berkeley. come
during the opening hours, help extend those hours, take a class, teach
a class, use wifi, participate at a project, found a project,
participate at an art show, bring art that you leave forever an the
collage wall( to be inaugurated), and its all for free.  at anytime
become a cofounder for a $40 donation , which keeps the space open for
one day. Found your own project here and name the place for a symboic
$40. (tonight I'm gonna inaugurate the "Nyan cat University" and will
symbolically donate $40 towards rent.
- come teach a class as a travelling hacker on a Hack-Saturday at 4pm,
inspired by "today I learned".
- Hack the Gallery is located in a very protected area. rich families
and kids. I plan on recruiting kids for tutoring, you could do so,
too.

So tonight starting at 6pm we celebrate the inauguration of hack the
Gallery and some other projects, we will have awesome food and ice
cream from Ray, as well as awesome inspiring speakers from our
community.

I want to make it clear that it is not me as a person doing all this,
I was just lucky to came along this opportunity, I have been doing
nothing but getting inspired by people around me and following /
copying what they do.  Its us all together as a community reclaiming
this space.
And I believe that our community will reclaim many more community
spaces all over the world,
and hopefully also the vacant Oaks Theater next door. We already have
the domain:
hackthetheatre ;)

best regards, thank you guys for all your help and inspiration,
p.

hackthegallery.net