[Mesh] Notes from 12/26 Hacknight

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 07:32:42 PST 2013

December 26th Hacknight

Reposted for posterity at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/26_December_2013

=Attendees=
*MaxB, Jeremy, Jenny, Marc, Deekoo, Pete Forsyth

=Updates=
*Jenny and Pete brainstormed some intro flyers last week - Jenny will
work on "elevator pitch" / & mission/vision today
**MeshThePlanet.Org: Planet blog aggregator, calendar, directory/map
[https://github.com/libremap], resources [legal, technical, graphical,
historical, etc], software tools, forum?
*Jeremy went through the video interviews - they look great! He and
Daniel have been going through and marking good segments
*Marc is debugging the last bits of the firmware & node configurator (
see this email:
https://lists.sudoroom.org/pipermail/mesh/2013-December/000672.html ).
Upgraded Sudo Room's internet with two new access points. Got the
spectrum analyzer working on our firmware (see below)
**Portable spectrum analyzer: Mac G4 battery to power the Bullet M5,
mounted on a  pole and hooked up to a GPS, running the stock AirOS
spectrum analyzer software.
*MaxB tackling web admin bug, going to write some scripts for more
seamlessly incorporating firmware updates onto the build server
*Deekoo has been barreling through the build scripts for OpenWRT - got
it to download a build root in a secure, but not yet audit-able
fashion - still security holes all the way down  \o/

=ToDos Tonight=
*MaxB on web admin bug [done]
*MaxB writing scripts [done]
*Jenny making sudomesh gravatar [done]
*Jenny on mission/vision & elevator pitch & blog posts [not done]
*Juul squishing bugs [partially done]
*Deekoo banging on the build scripts [presumedly done]

=Notes=
*Bugs were squished. Marc knocked off 4/5 off his ToDos from the email
(linked above).
*Jenny taught Pete git, and meanwhile made a sudomesh gravatar:
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/787ec18db5a9c270fa420c8a0c49cdde.png
*Pete taught Jenny how to common our media, uploading WNDW to
wikimedia commons & wikisource and converting it to markdown (see below).
*Will we deploy any nodes before the New Year? To be continued...

=Gratuitous Link Dump=
*Pete uploaded the 3rd edition of Wireless Networking in the
Developing World here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wireless_Networking_in_the_Developing_World,_Third_Edition.pdf
and then we realized Matt had already done this:
*https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wireless_Networking_in_the_Developing_World
*and also on Github:
https://github.com/wrought/wireless-networking-in-the-developing-world/tree/master
*Jenny's thesis, to go on WikiSource! - http://thevirtualcampfire.org
*Network Startup Resource Center - http://nsrc.org/
*Secure peer-to-peer networking - lots of great documentation! -
https://gnunet.org & https://gnunet.org/bibliography
*The Oakland CORE training for emergency preparedness has morphed into
this:
http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/OFD/s/EmergencyPreparedness/LearnLeadLift/index.htm
*Also this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/millions-of-dogecoins-stolen-in-apparent-heist
*Video of our presentation at SFSU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8-eLJ4lDLg&feature=youtu.be
*Article on Village Telco & the Mesh Potato:
http://ecopreneurist.com/2013/12/23/green-business-ideas-mesh-network-telephone-internet-company/

~!~
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé