[Mesh] This Week in Mesh!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 00:43:51 PST 2013

*Announcements:*

   - Convening on Sunday for a combination cryptoparty / video interview
   sesh / full test of build server, firmware & node configurator! Come by
   Sudo Room anytime after 1pm.
   - Launching the experimental test network this month! If you're fairly
   tech-savvy and are interested in testing the first batch of nodes and
   helping to iron out bugs, please get in touch :-)
   - Consensing on Board of Directors at next week's meeting (see notes
   below)
   - Please follow @pplsopennet <https://twitter.com/pplsopennet> and
   @sudomesh <https://twitter.com/sudomesh>

*Current Action Items*:

   - Edit video / do more interviews (Daniel & Jeremy)
   - Test node configurator on a pico (Marc & MaxB)
   - Revamp presentation deck (Matt and Jenny)
   - Investigate becoming a Ubiquiti reseller (Roman)
   - Email sticker people (Marc)
   - Write updated Shareable article on mesh networks (jenny)
   - Contact first 20 experimental node operators (jenny)
   - Update budget spreadsheet and pursue bank account (jenny, matt?)
   - Submit Issues for changes to the website at the Github
repo<https://github.com/sudomesh/peoplesopen-front>(everyone)
   - Please scan the spectrum around your house using one of these software
   tools <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Software_tools>! (everyone)

*Outstanding Action Items: *

   - Investigate ham folks and their equipment - maybe they are getting rid
   of towers etc
   - Can we keep the same IP yet switch to different access points?

*Nominations for Board of Directors:*

   - Jenny nominated Rhodey, MaxB, ChrisJ, Matt, Marc, Jenny, Deekoo,
   Jeremy, Miguel, Luis, Jake
   - We consense on the nominations next week (Dec. 19th)
   - Accepted: MaxB, ChrisJ, Marc, Jenny, Matt
   - Awaiting Response: Rhodey, Deekoo, Jeremy, Miguel, Luis, Jake

*Wiki:*
*[NOTE: You can make this process easier for me by adding a descriptive
comment when creating or updating a wiki page!]*

   - Tunabananas added Meeting Minutes for December
5th<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/5_December_2013>& December
   12th <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/12_December_2013>.
   - Tunabananas created
Mesh/Presentations<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Presentations>to
document our public talks/workshops/presentations - uploaded slides as
   well
   - Tunabananas created
Mesh/Meetings<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Meetings>to document
meetings with other organizations
   - Tunabananas updated Mesh/Interviews with other
meshers<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Interviews_with_other_meshers>with
excerpts from Gordon Cook's interview with Nico of Altermundi
   - Juul created Mesh/Spectrum
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Spectrum>for describing how to map out
spectrum usage
   - Tunabananas updated Mesh/ToDos <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/ToDos>
   - Deekoo returned Nanostation and checked
out<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Checkouts>an AirBridge
   - Tunabananas created
Mesh/InternetArchive<http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/InternetArchive>with
notes on our meeting at the internet Archive
   - Tunabananas updated Mesh/Remaining
Issues<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Remaining_issues>
   - Chris created Mesh/Choosing a
Router<https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Mesh/Choosing_A_Router&rcid=7323>
   - Tunabananas updated Mesh/Walkthrough, moving OpenWRT build
   instructions to Mesh/Build an OpenWRT
Image<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Build_An_OpenWRT_Image>

   - Juul created Mesh/Remaining
issues<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Remaining_issues>to document
remaining technical challenges
   - Chrisjx created Mesh/Meraki Sparky Enclosure
Design<https://sudoroom.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Mesh/Meraki_Sparky_Enclosure_Design&rcid=7299>
   - 50.0.83.158 updated
Mesh/Inventory<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Inventory>with the
Meraki & Microtik donations to Noisebridge
   - Deekoo checked out <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Checkouts> a
   Nanostation
   - Jwentwistle updated Mesh/Firmware<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Firmware>
   - Juul updated Mesh/Legal <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Legal> with
   more local ISPs that allow sharing & info on how we deal with legal
   liability and ToS violations
   - 69.42.3.176 updated
Mesh/Firmware<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Firmware>with info on
LightSquid, traffic shaping, and VPN services
   - Jwentwistle updated
Mesh/Walkthrough<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Walkthrough>
   - Peteforsyth updated our main Mesh
<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh>page and made it open to user editing

*Events:*

   - THIS SUNDAY (12/15) - Cryptoparty at Sudo Room from 2-5pm!
   - THIS SUNDAY (12/5) - Daniel & Jeremy will be taping more interviews at
   Sudo Room from folks working on the project
   - TBD: Field trips/citywide bikeabout for spectrum analysis & range
   testing

*Recommended Reading:*

   -
   <http://oaklandnorth.net/2013/11/27/mesh-network-offers-potential-for-free-wireless-internet-in-oakland/>The
   Cook Report: The Global Free Network
Movement<http://blog.altermundi.net/media/uploads/nov-dec_2013_crpp.pdf>-
awesome interviews with Guifi.net, Altermundi, the Free Network
   Foundation, the Federation of French Data Networks, and more!
   - MileMesh Looks to Make Hoboken a Beacon for US Mesh
Networks<http://techpresident.com/news/24610/milemesh-looks-make-hoboken-beacon-us-mesh-networks>
   - KORUZA Grows: Shuttleworth Foundation Flash
Grant<https://wlan-si.net/en/blog/2013/10/31/koruza-grows-shuttleworth-foundation-flash-grant/>-
Musti from wlan-slovenia has received funding for his prototype for
   Optical Wireless Networks!
   - Google Fiber and Kansas City's Digital
Divide<http://kcur.org/post/google-fiber-and-kansas-citys-digital-divide>-
Great article on the work being done in Kansas City by Connecting For
   Good & the FNF

--------
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net