[Mesh] Hacknight Notes 12/12/13

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 23:40:06 PST 2013

*A note on hacknights, flows and collaboration:*
*We typically start around 7:30 with a go-around of brief introductions and
updates on what we've been working on and/or what we plan to work on that
night.
*I'd like to suggest a Check-in around 10pm to provide opportunity for
people to a) feel comfortable leaving if they want to, and b) receive
feedback on whatever it is they've been working on.
*Would also like to encourage people to task themselves publicly by adding
Action Items to the notes
*And to link dump indiscriminately!

Reposted for posterity at https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/12_December_2013 -
edit at will
Attendees

   - Deekoo, Jeremy, Jenny, Maxb, Marc, Daniel, Deekoo, Xavier, Luis

 Updates

   - Jenny and Matt went to SF State to give a presentation on Sudomesh to
   a computer networking for business students class. Went well! It was 40
   minutes long and there was a lot of eye contact! No sleeping in the back!!
      - For future presentations we could set up a mesh!
      - Internships!
      - Prof is interested in tinkering with 802.11s + library in a box
   - MaxB working on the build server & firmware generator - ready to do a
   new walkthrough for creating nodes
   - Deekoo has gotten the Nanostation working (can pick up MonkeyBrains
   5GHz from 2 miles away!), Nanobridge not working, wants to do range testing
      - We could run the PoE off of old laptop batteries! Mounted on a
      pedicab! Bandwidth/speed test + spectrum analysis
   - Luis is working on setting up / learning about BATMAN, interested in
   working on client-side interfaces
   - Jeremy + Daniel did a bunch of video interviews this past weekend!
   Interested in education + outreach
   - Daniel applied for us to receive a donation of 3 racks, 13/14 hard
   drives
   - Jenny + Matt + Mitar spoke with Ralf from Internet Archive - Notes to
   be put on wiki - https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Meetings
   - Marc has been finishing up the node configurator, let's test it on a
   router tonight!
      - Also working on stickers with basic info such as private SSID +
      password, admin login info
   - Xavier interested in applications of mesh for activism

Ideas

   - Add a link on the site for "I'd like to get an intro to the mesh"
   - Talk to technology coordinators in schools
   - Local applications still in need of a portal page; Luis wants to help
   design the frontend
   - Tech Support: Send or bring us your router and we'll give you a node
   - Daniel suggests a block party to test the range of the mesh!
   - Talk to people who own properties about mounting nodes on the
   rooftops.
      - Inspiration from the FNF - convinced the owner of a housing complex
      to provide free Wi-Fi, after which point the chronically empty apartments
      were filled!

 Checkins

   - Chris has a pretty sweet CAD design for a 3D printed enclosure for the
   Sparkys!
   - Deekoo tested most of our 5GHz routers - 3 Nanobridges working
   [Checked out one], 2 not working [plz edit with correct data]
   - Jenny reading Cook Report interviews w/ Altermundi & FNF folks:
   https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Interviews_with_other_meshers#Altermundi_Interviews_.28Argentina.29
   - MaxB compiling..
      - Firmware generator is ready to roll! playing nicely with the node
      configurator
      - https://github.com/sudomesh/openwrt-firmware-config
   - Juul tweaking node configurator
      - https://github.com/sudomesh/node-configurator
   - Scattered brainstorms

 Action Items

   - Jenny to put Internet Archive and SFSU notes on wiki:
      - https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/InternetArchive
      -
      https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Presentations#Professor_Sameer_Verda.27s_Wireless_Networking_class_for_Business_students
   - Jenny update To Dos & Add Meetings/Presentations to Nav
      - https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/ToDos
      - https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Meeting
      - https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Presentations
   - Daniel & Jeremy to edit video / do more interviews [Sunday]
   - Marc to test node configurator on a pico
   - Matt and Jenny to revamp presentation

 Linkdump

   - East Bay Broadband Consortium<http://www.ebbroadband.org/action_plan.asp>
   - East Bay Connects helps people find affordable broadband
services<http://www.eastbayconnects.com/>
   - MileMesh project starting up in Hoboken, NJ <http://www.milemesh.com/>
   - Koruza prototype can be 3D printed! (optical wireless networks aka
   LASERS!) <https://dev.wlan-si.net/wiki/KORUZA/Prototype>
   - COOK Report on the Global Free Network
Movement<http://blog.altermundi.net/media/uploads/nov-dec_2013_crpp.pdf>-
Jenny's
   Excerpts<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Interviews_with_other_meshers#Altermundi_Interviews_.28Argentina.29>
   - PHP Network Weathermap <http://www.network-weathermap.com>