[Mesh] My mesh project.

Alcides Gutierrez alcides888 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:03:53 PST 2013

Hi. Im new to meshing. Ive been scouring the web though since November. ;)
Im currently purchasing 2 WNDR3800's to flash with OpenWrt and use either
batman-adv or olsr.

I am having trouble choosing between batman and olsr. Discussions online
seem to suggest development for olsr ongoing whereas its implied that
batman dev has gone stagnant? But batman is preinstalled on byzantium live
cds.

Also, I've been hanging out on efnet irc (#cjdns, #seattlemeshnet, etc)
with folks involved with cjdns. Pretty happening project. They got some
tunneled network called (#)Hyperboria. The way that network works is with
pgp key exchanges and you gotta actually approach some one to get in. Also
ipv6 native.

Im hoping to set up a linux box as a cjdns node and expose people to it via
nat66??? But my main objective is to (educate how to) install/modify
consumer routers to link up a olsr (or batman) network. Lots more work
ahead.

I also ran into open-mesh on my quest. I understand 510open encourages use
of their routers. Also from what I understand their older models (which I
believe are [broken-]linked to on their website) are preinstalled with
Robin, which I have no knowledge of but willing to explore. The newer
models (online discussions suggest) use NG, with which I am also
unfamiliar. Perhaps Mark D has more info?

Im hopin my energy here in Exelsior, SF can mesh well with whats going on
at 510pen. Perhaps more compatibilty in the future? Im definitely hoping to
bridge the gap with Seattles cjdns eventually. Though they already got a
decent following of testers internationally.

Anyway, cheers everyone!

Alcides Gutierrez
VaporOne.com