[sudo-discuss] lighting options

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:42:58 PST 2015

In the same 1-day sale, they are also selling loose 10 Watt Cool White 900
Lumen LEDs for $2.49 (limit 5/customer):

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19653

and a 12-LED, 40W "blinding white LED disc", for $5 (limit 2/customer):

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20536

Nice deals if you don't mind doing some assembly of your own. These will
obviously need a driver and some hefty cooling...

Patrik

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My favorite online electronics discount store Electronic Goldmine is
> having a special on some nice LED strips. They are doing an unusual 1-day
> sale with a limited number available per customer. I already ordered my
> limit, so if we want more of these, we should have a couple different
> people ordering more ASAP.
>
> I think the main strips of interest are these:
>
> http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20119
>
> They are 14-LED 21.75" long AcuityBrands strips with a mix of "warm" and
> "cold" white LEDs, totaling 10W (40V x 0.25A). That's the same brand as the
> LED strips that are in the LED fixture in the CCL lab room, so should be
> decent quality. Four of these should be about the same length and light
> output as one of the 8ft T12 fluorescent bulbs, so we could just attach
> them to the existing light fixtures.
>
> They are $4 a piece with a limit or 5 per customer. A bit more expensive
> than the Chinese LED spot lights that Jake ordered, but a strip light would
> provide more even illumination to work by. They may or may not be better
> quality: known US brand vs chinese supplier, but the ones Electric Goldmine
> sells were presumably stripped out of some existing equipment.
>
> They also have a sale on some strong 12-LED 15.25" long RGB LED strip
> lights made by Konami Gaming. No hookup info, but they are selling them
> dirt cheap: $5 for a package of five! (Limit 2 packages of 5 per customer)
>
> http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20109A
>
> Patrik
>
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As another point of comparison, the LED light fixture I put in the CCL
>> lab room is this one:
>>

>> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-ft-x-4-ft-White-LED-Prismatic-Lens-Troffer-2GTL4/203820958?N=5yc1vZc7buZ1z115g2
>>
>> It's a 4000 Lumens, 45 Watt fixture made to resemble a fluorescent tube
>> one. Internally, it has four 36-LED strips behind a nice diffuser, and a
>> big-ass 30VDC/1.58A LED driver. (In comparison, that first bulb Jake posted
>> is 800 Lumen, so this one is equivalent in light output to about five of
>> those)
>>
>> These sell for $119 at Home Depot, which is of course far too much.
>> Should be easy to reverse engineer these for far less, but I'm not sure how
>> well that would go over with our fire inspection, even if some of the
>> chinese knockoffs may very well pose more of fire hazard...
>>
>> Patrik
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>>
>>> so i guess sudoroom (and CCL too probably) need some new lights, since
>>> the flourescents are failing.
>>>
>>> Home Despot sells 11-watt "warm white" bulbs for $9 each, which would be
>>> a good idea if we had regular lamp sockets to screw bulbs into...
>>> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-
>>> 5000K-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-with-4Flow-Filament-
>>> Design-BA19-08050OMF-12DE26-3U100/205597079?N=5yc1vZbm79
>>>
>>> but china can always do better.  I looked on Ali Express and sorted by
>>> customer satisfaction, looking for LED lighting in "downlights" which
>>> suggests lamps shining downward?
>>>
>>> these look good but the seller rating is only 97.4%:
>>> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Aluminum-9W-
>>> 15W-21W-27W-45W-LED-Downlight-Ceiling-lights-lamp-AC85-265V-
>>> With/2027740342.html
>>>
>>> they seem to be "16 to 21" watts for $6.95 including shipping.  They
>>> offer "warm" and "cold" flavors so we could just get a mix of the two
>>> kinds, for something in the middle when they're all on.
>>>
>>> here is the search i was doing:
>>>
>>> http://www.aliexpress.com/category/200002289/led-
>>> downlights.html?site=glo&isrefine=y&shipCountry=US&
>>> SortType=total_weight_score_desc
>>>
>>> this one is also a good price, and the seller rating is higher (98.1%)
>>> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/21W-Antifogging-Epistar-
>>> led-downlight-AC85-265V-Contains-the-drive-power-free-