[sudo-discuss] Help design a circuit for sudoroom's hardware hacking tuesdays!

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat Jan 31 14:18:54 PST 2015

I have always loved the idea behind Circuit Hacking Mondays, which happens
at Noisebridge every Monday for the past n years.

Sudoroom will be having Hardware Hacking Tuesdays from now until t, and we
need to come up with some stock kits for n00bs to put together to learn
how to electronics!

seeing as we just got a huge donation of stuff (listed below) I say we
come up with something that uses these excellent, FREE recycled components
that would otherwise end up in a landfill or our lungs.  It helps greatly
that the components just happen to be perfect for...

DIY micro-music synthesizers!!!

picture this:  a kit you can put together at sudoroom which, when you're
done, makes awesome musical sounds and maybe sequences with a bunch of
dials to turn and buttons to push.

your mission:  design a cool kit using the parts we have plenty of!  the
winning designs will be made into actual circuitboards sent out for
fabrication and zillions of people will build those kits!

we have unlimited potentiometers (board-mounted with a long enough shaft
to turn with fingers)
unlimited board-mounted buttons (four-pin, either SPST or DPST)
unlimited piano-style DIP switches (two and eight positions)
unlimited op-amps (250MHz bandwidth OPA354 i believe)
unlimited 74HC14 schmitt triggers (six oscillators of any frequency)
RCA jacks, headphone jacks, LM1877 audio amplifier chips
and all the resistors and capacitors you could possibly need

your design should not include a microcontroller, just passive parts that
go together and make noise.  Input will be 5 volts DC, output will be
line-level audio for going into amplified speakers.

we have lots of logic chips like 74HC163 four-bit counters and 74AC351
8-input multiplexers - so it should be easy to add a sequencer to your
design!

if you have plug-in breadboards, bring them in, it will make it easier to
prototype this stuff.

see you on tuesdays!

-jake