[sudo-discuss] Replace Sudo elec outlets with GFI

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Thu Jan 29 13:35:31 PST 2015

> every power strip ever has its own 15-amp circuit breaker, which will
> pop before the one in the panel

jake i think with 2 power strips that's 30 amps before they pop, so
quite likely the panel breaker would pop first with multiple strips
going.

also, is the purpose of the isolation transformer to act as a load
reactor for heavy loads? If so, I would propose attaching it to the
loads rather than the panel. Like whit says more legs is probably the
best answer.

cheers

On 2015-01-29 13:31, Whitney Lawrence wrote:

> [...]
> knowledgeable will trawl eBay for suitable isolation transformers?
>
> On Tuesday, January 27, 2015, David Keenan <dkeenan44 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, what I mostly meant by upstream effects is that flipping the
> breaker obviously turns off a lot of other outlets in Sudo and possibly
> breaks others' projects.
>
> I don't think a space heater was running, but I wouldn't swear to it.
>
> David
>
> On Tuesday, January 27, 2015, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I suspect part of the problem is that the Bocce ball court gets so cold
> that people have been using space heaters. If most of the outlets are
> on a single breaker, it doesn't take too much extra to trip a breaker
> if you have a heater running...
>
> Patrik
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> If people are overloading the circuit breakers, or the breakers are
> tripping at lower than designed currents, this will not help.
>
> Before buying anything you should figure out why the breakers are
> tripping.
>
> -steve
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:38 AM, David Keenan <dkeenan44 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Killer. Adam - since I obviously lack the technical literacy to scope
> eBay for the properly right stuff, might this be something you'd be
> willing to look for on our behalf - i.e., pass on links to some
> Adam-approved eBay isolation transformers)?
>
> If Sudo does not have the funds to hand to acquire these, depending on
> the cost I will make a request of Omni Commons to purchase. As I see
> this as something that will help us pass our Fire Life & Safety
> inspection for the building..
>
> David
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Adam Munich <adam at aperture.systems>
> wrote:
>
> It would be better to get something like this on eBay, because large,
> ie several kilowatt transformers typically can be had for pennies on
> the dollar there. Low voltage transformers really don't go bad so the
> age doesn't matter.
>
> On Jan 27, 2015 11:19 AM, "David Keenan" <dkeenan44 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes to this Adam, thank you. I searched around and found a product like
> this [1] - Adam would you say this is the right sort of product for
> sudo or can you reccomend a better / more affordable one?
>
> David
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Adam Munich <adam at aperture.systems>
> wrote:
>
> I think the ideal solution here would be to get some form of isolation
> transformer with an in-line breaker for when people want to fuck with
> the line. In this way it is very difficult to a) electrocute yourself
> and b) cause damage to the circuits.
>
> Further if we ever get a safety inspection this would appease people

-steve

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/147370/Tripp-Lite-IS1000HG/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Computer_Tablet_Accessories-_-147370-VQ6-42102167876-VQ16c-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-147370-VQ20-72939322076-VQ21-