[sudo-discuss] Stealing Shit Policy

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 13:25:17 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM, null null null <null at revolution.cheap> wrote:
> If someone is trying to leave the space with a stolen item, call all hands
> on deck and block the entrances until they've relinquished it.
> If someone is harassing people or damaging the space, ask them to leave. If
> they refuse to leave, then call all hands on deck and form a human net
> around them. Without touching them, guide them out the door.
> Only if someone is physically violent do we respond with physical force.

I love these ideas. They imply a radically different way of thanking
than the status quo outside our walls, where people tend to only care
about themselves and think "other peoples' problems are not my
problems". Which is GREAT but also raises the ante for all of us. I
think this is one of the most important things we should be getting
across when acculturating new people to our space - sharing isn't just
about software and tools. We share responsibility for the space and
for each other.