[sudo-discuss] I'm going to pee sitting down at the omni: A call for others to join.

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Tue Jan 13 12:09:05 PST 2015

On Tue Jan 13 11:16:19 PST 2015, Yar said this.

> Tom's data indicates that neither cis men and cis women can be fully
> trusted to keep toilets clean. The solution is clear: only trans and
> genderqueer people should be allowed to pee at the Omni.

This is inaccurate. In "The Hovering Cycle", I forced people to choose
"male" or "female"; trans and genderqueer people still had to fit
themselves into one of these two buckets. Thus, it does not allow us
to compare cis people to trans and genderqueer people. See the
"What is your sex?" question in the print-out of the questionnaire.
http://thomaslevine.com/!/hovering-cycle/questionnaire.pdf

I did allow for other sexes in "Unsanitary conditions in the Risley
Hall bathrooms", as you can see in question P2 in appendix B on page 33.
http://thomaslevine.com/!/risley-toilets/risley_toilets.pdf

I had not looked at this until reading Yar's claim. I just looked at
it, though, and I believe that this questionnaire does not strongly
support Yar's claim. I'll explain.

Pages 35 and 36 contain the data of interest. In question P3, a sex of
"Other" is coded "3". Only one person marked "Other" as zir sex, and
that person indicated that ze does not pee standing up. Here is the
full contingency table, with missing values removed.

  Do you pee standing up?             Female Male Other
  Yes                                      0   13     0
  No                                      43    1     1
  Sometimes (Explain if you please.)       2    4     0

You could spin this and say that 0% of respondents who indicated that
they were neither male nor female said that they pee standing up, but
this neglects that there was only one such respondant.

Tom