[sudo-discuss] I'm going to pee sitting down at the omni: A call for others to join.

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Tue Jan 13 11:12:59 PST 2015

And, to Patrik's comment about seats,

> Not being a hoverer (I typically sit to pee, unless I'm in a real hurry),
> would replacing some of the old toilet seats with new seats encourage more
> people to sit rather than hover or stand?
>
> I generally like to leave the toilet seat cleaner than when I found it. So
> if it's dirty I'll take some time to wipe off the seat with toilet paper,
> and then use either a seat cover or a few sheets of toilet paper to sit on
> (using a seat cover without first drying the seat is of course entirely
> pointless). But wiping off a nice new plastic seat is obviously far easier
> than an old wooden seat with cracked paint. Are there any seats at the Omni
> that are in particularly bad shape?

I think new seats would also create a sense of maintenance/neatness that
would encourage people to be neat themselves. Also, if we do get new seats,
we might consider the findings of Ian McClelland and Joan Ward regarding
the toilet seat preferences of different sexes.

Ian L. McClelland and Joan S. Ward (1982). The Ergonomics of Toilet Seats.
  Human Factors, 24(6): 713—725.

That paper is proprietary, unfortunately, but I can recount it for anyone
who is interested.