[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Replacing the term "bottom-liner" with..?

Tony Barreca tony.barreca at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 17:41:27 PST 2015

Actually, if the opposing forces are reasonably well-trained, the point man
is usually not the first guy to get shot.

A well-trained opponent will typically let him (or her, perhaps, nowadays)
get safely past so they have a much higher probability of killing all who
follow.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2015 1:49 PM, "Ryan" <yandoryn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A point person, on the other hand, is the person you have to go to in
> order to get involved at all. How do I get involved? *points at person*
>
> Actually,  I think "point man" presumably comes from military terminology:
> it's the soldier who is "on point" in a patrol,  and who gets to scout out
> the best route,  but who also gets shot at first if things go wrong.
> Perhaps not the best imagery we want to adopt...
>
> Patrik
>

> > On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> discuss changing "bottom-liner" is because it promotes arresting a single
> person with all of the responsibility, rather than collectivizing
> responsibility toward building community.
> >>
> >> Meh - I think "point person" conveys exactly the same meaning to me. I
> had never heard of the term "bottom-liner" before, so to my ear this just
> seems like a pointless exercise in semantics.
> >>
> >> In the end, the mechanism is still that we appoint an individual to
> carry somewhat more responsibility for an event, because otherwise things
> will inevitably fall through the cracks. You can call them a bottom-liner,
> a facilitator, a coordinator, a point person or whatever you want. Does it
> suggest an unequal division of labor? Sure it does, but that just reflects
> reality. We can strive for a more equal distribution, but in my opinion
> just changing the name is not going to change the fact that some people put
> in more effort than others, or that in some cases it is actually more
> efficient for one person to take charge of certain details.
> >>
> >> What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would
> smell as sweet...
> >>
> >> Patrik

> we replace the word bottom-liner.

> to replace this phrase / to lovingly and compassionately correct one
> another if and when we slip up?

> lot of us that I'm sure we're all willing to make, but it'll likely take a
> bit of time before it collectively takes root.

> phrase could put forth their suggestions.

> real world.

Tony Barreca
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybarreca
Skype: tonybarreca