[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [eecs-announce] Wikipedia Art+Feminism Edit-A-Thon -- Berkeley Site!

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Thu Feb 26 16:38:31 PST 2015

Hi!

This sounds very interesting.

Mitar

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: ANNA J CAREY <annacarey at berkeley.edu>
Subject: [eecs-announce] Wikipedia Art+Feminism Edit-A-Thon -- Berkeley
Site!
To: eecs-announce at eecs.berkeley.edu

Please forward the following message about the Wikipedia Art+Feminism
Edit-A-Thon that will be hosted at UC Berkeley:

*What:* Wikipedia Art+Feminism Edit-A-Thon
*Where:* BCNM Commons (near Free Speech Movement Cafe), Moffitt Library, UC
Berkeley Campus
*When:* Saturday, March 7, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Wikimedia’s gender trouble is well-documented. In a 2011 survey, the
Wikimedia Foundation found that less than 10% of its contributors identify
as female. The reasons for the gender gap are up for debate; suggestions
include leisure inequality, how gender socialization shapes public
comportment, and the sometimes contentious nature of Wikipedia’s talk
pages. The practical effect of this disparity, however, is not. Content is
skewed by the lack of female participation. This represents an alarming
absence in an increasingly important repository of shared knowledge. Let's
change that.

Join Berkeley Center for New Media on Saturday, March 7 from 11 a.m. - 4
p.m. for a collaborative edit-a-thon of Wikipedia entries on subjects
relating to art and feminism. We will provide tutorials for the beginner
Wikipedians, reference materials, and refreshments. Bring your laptop,
power cord, and ideas for entries that need updating or creation. For the
editing-averse, we urge you to stop by to show your support. Women,
women-identified, and male allies welcomed. *RSVP on Facebook and register
on our Wikipedia Meet-up page. We look forward to seeing you there!*

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1595505167330247/

Wikipedia Page:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Berkeley/ArtAndFeminism_2015
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Berkeley/ArtAndFeminism_2015>

--
Anna Carey
UC Berkeley | Interdisciplinary Studies: Art & Technology

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m