[sudo-discuss] E-waste in trash room

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:46:53 PST 2015

Hi all,

I'm not sure who left all the electronics trash in the trash room, but in
matter such as these, my eye turns towards Sudo...

Please know that E-Waste does NOT GO IN THE REGULAR TRASH! In fact, it is
ILLEGAL to dump electronics with regular trash in California, and we can be
fined for doing so.

E-Waste is terrible for the environment, and needs to be recycled
separately. So don't just toss a bunch of junk in the trash room and expect
someone else to deal with it!

I would strongly recommend that Sudo sets up an e-Waste recycling container
somewhere (maybe with a smaller container on the side for batteries) and
then organizes a dropoff whenever it starts filling up. (Also a good place
to scavenge for interesting parts for reuse, naturally!)

The oakland wiki lists a number of places that will recycle or reuse
electronics waste, including cell phones, appliances, and batteries of all
sorts:

https://localwiki.org/oakland/E-Waste_Recycling

Patrik