[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Proposed Safe Space Ban: Perry

Ryan yandoryn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:20:56 PST 2015

fwding this to sudo and cdc as well

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ryan <yandoryn at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM
Subject: Proposed Safe Space Ban: Perry
To: "discuss at lists.omnicommons.org" <discuss at lists.omnicommons.org>, David
Keenan <dkeenan44 at gmail.com>

Perry, who as far as I know is not affiliated with any collective in the
space, was at the Omni until late last night. He was heavily inebriated and
reeked of alcohol.

In attempting to talk with me, he got incredibly touchy-feely and further
invaded my space, getting so close that I could feel his breath on my skin.
I informed him loudly that touch needs to be consensual in the space and
that he should ask me before touching me. I told him that the safe space
policy is next to the front door and that he should read it. I managed to
get away from him, but he followed me outside.

Ribre (sp?) was outside with her guitar and he sat down next to her,
invaded her space, and tried to strike up a seemingly very uncomfortable
conversation. She told him that whatever he was talking about was something
that he'd have to deal with on his own, not with her, and that she cannot
deal with drunk men, and that they make her unsafe. Instead of ceasing the
conversation, he got closer and tried to tell her that they needed to
continue it.

He continued in this vein for a while longer, until I loudly informed him
that the conversation was not consensual and he needed to stop. He started
to argue with me, however RAYC was able to defuse Perry and lead him away
from the interaction.

I spoke to Kwe and Juul before they left, to make sure I had backup if I
needed to ask Perry to leave the building. Eventually, I was the only
member left in the building, so I asked RAYC to shut down the building for
me, and that I was only comfortable vouching for him and Nicholas. RAYC got
Perry to leave.

I spoke with David Keenan this morning, explaining the situation, and DK
said that he has spoken to Perry in the past about his behaviour,
specifically his behaviour when under the influence of alcohol. I will let
DK speak more to that.

Is anyone aware of a collective that Perry is involved with? In my
conversation with DK, he said that when he spoke to Perry he said he was
with FNB, but was probably lying, as he didn't even know where the kitchen
was. Regardless, I ask that Perry be banned from the Omni, pending
mediation, as his actions clearly violate our safe space policy and he
refused to take action to alter his behaviour.