[sudo-discuss] Michaelmas

johanna faust female.faust at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 03:33:25 PDT 2014

The bottom line:  Michælmas is today.

If I can drum up the wherewithal, and I can walk well enough and stand for
long enough, -- and I think this is likley -- I would like to cook the
traditional Michælmas fare, and I was considering doing so up at the Room:
 Goose, stuffed, and burgundy wine.  I like to get my geese from VerBrugge;
they are not stringy.  I have in the past made Michælmas soap from the
tallow, which gave me great satisfaction, as you can imagine.

I will do all the cooking, and understand that if this happens, there must
also be cleaning after.

I am an excellent cook.

What say ye?

Goose and burgundy wine. A welcome tradition set in motion by Elizabeth I
in gratitude and sweet relief at the sinking of the ships of the Spanish
Armada in a freak storm.  Much like declaring one should eat hot dogs on
the Fourth of july, except the Fourth didn't exist and Michaelmas already
did.

>From page 178 of the Western Antiquary:

The popular tradition is that Queen Elizabeth, on her way to Tilbury Fort
(September 29th, 1588), dined at the ancient seat of Sir Neville
Umfreyville, where, among other things, two fine geese were provided for
dinner. The queen, having eaten heartily, called for a bumper of Burgundy;
and gave as a toast, “Destruction to the Spanish Armada!” Scarcely had she
spoken when a messenger announced the destruction of the fleet by a storm.
The queen demanded a second bumper, and said, “Henceforth shall a goose
commemorate this great victory.” This tale is marred by the awkward
circumstance that the thanksgiving sermon for the victory was preached at
St. Paul's on the 20th August, and the fleet was dispersed by the winds in
July. Gascoigne, who died 1577, refers to the custom of goose-eating at
Michaelmas as common.

At Christmas a capon, at Michaelmas a goose,

And somewhat else at New Yere's tide, for feare the lease flies loose.

Most likely, had it not been for that storm, we would have been 'colonized'
by Spain.  Neither is one overlord æquall to another, nor was Spain nearly
as cool four hundred years ago as today.  The nice people who brought us
such delights as Jesuits and the Inquisition, also did a worse number upon
the Indians,  although I am sure that can be debated.

Nevertheless, i have, on the right half of my brain if you will, rather
cultivated an affinity for any enemy of the Inquisition.

According to the syncretic hands-on Christianity that doesn't suck like so
much of Western thought so often does, the Archangel Michæl protects us.
Sometimes from ourselves.  Often from each other.  Always, from Evil,
though it go, even in your heart and mine, by many names.

(& almost always before it becomes an issue, from the
not-specifically-too-good, that goes around from time to time.  It pays to
pay attention to the warnings.  Almost always one will be sent a video, or
brochure, or hear a kind voice over the public address system, well in
advance of being put in harms way.)

I should know by one or two.  Please drop a line if interested.

Donations gladly , happily accepted.

ff

--

*Be seeing you.*