[sudo-discuss] bookshelves in 'cafe' area

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Thu Sep 4 11:10:52 PDT 2014

very much so - La Commune cafe/bookstore is going to stock them with
books to be sold as one of their core functions.

relevant proposal from La Commune on the schedule for tonight's delegate
meeting:

http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Preparing_To_Be_Open

there were objections raised to restricting access as specified in the
proposal:

"AFTER-HOURS ACCESS

As per the section on Hours, the Omni will close to the public at 6pm.
La Commune will also be closed at that time, which means that the 48th &
Shattuck door will not be usable. The Omni will still be available to
members of its collectives, including those, like Sudo Room, that
require 24-hour access, through the side door on 48th Street. This door
will be the after-hours access. Members will be furnished either with a
key (following a lock-change at the Omni's expense) or a magnetic card
or fob (if an appropriate access system can be developed). We will
ensure that the fire codes are followed and particularly that fire
egress is possible after-hours. Those members present after-hours are
requested not to use closed spaces.

Opening to the general public every day of the week is a great
fulfillment of the Omni's mission to be a radical social commons. Let us
make strong decisions now about how we receive the public, so that this
wonderful project can most fully flourish."

La Commune needs to be able to prevent book theft and any interference
in the operation of the cafe so there is definitely a need to come up
with a creative solution to the access vs security problem at hand. I
indicated that sudoers might be available to help La Commune build
localized access control infrastructure in the interest of preserving a
thoroughfare in the cafe area to sudo/ccl, the ADA restroom, and the
ballroom. I encourage everyone to read through, discuss, and give
feedback to our delegate for tonight's ooc delegates' meeting.

cheers,

hol