[sudo-discuss] Very important Omni proposals for wheelchair accessibility!

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 16:30:36 PDT 2014

It would be very good if we could consent on this at Thursday's Omni
meeting, so that work can begin. Please discuss among all groups ASAP.
Thanks!!

=== front door ===
* Proposal: replace the NE front door with an ADA-accessible door
** Install a single 36" door with adjacent smaller side door or barrier.
** Est cost: $500

=== chairlift to ballroom ===
* Proposal: replace the western staircase from La Commune to the
ballroom with a chairlift. This would involve knocking down part of
the wall. This is what our CASp inspector recommended and is required
for public access to the ballroom.
** Option 1: ~$8000 for a fully-certified, professionally installed
new commercial lift including all permitting.
** Option 2: Failing the passage of option 1, that we authorize up to
$3500 for a used chairlift. Note most used chairlifts are from houses
and certified only for residential, not commercial, and therefore a
used lift may not be technically to ADA code. A UPS (uninterruptable
power supply) may need to be acquired to power a residential lift in
the case of a power outage (as per ADA code for commercial spaces.)

=== bathroom ===
* Proposal: make cafe bathroom accessible, single-stall, single-occupancy.
** requires knocking down inner stalls, installing grab bars, moving
the sink, fitting a wider door
** Est cost: $500-$1000.

Note: The landlords will be obligated to pay for 50% of these costs in
the form of a rent credit.