[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Dia de los Muertos fundraiser: is happening?

Lesley Bell zvezdalune at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:39:21 PDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lesley Bell <zvezdalune at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [sudo-discuss] Dia de los Muertos fundraiser: is happening?
To: Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com>

You're right Vicky.  The flyer has been changed--it is, after all, better
to make death obsolete than the remembrance of it, although some people
believe that technological resurrection may be possible someday.

Also, no one brought it up, but I realized it could be possible that the
very Halloween-ish nature of the event could be somewhat offensive. People
who are perceived to be using technology in way that transgresses the
traditionally accepted human form are very much discriminated against, e.g.
Steve Mann's attack in France.  I've been called a "cyborg freak," and
"autistic" for my wearable tech experimentation. I hoped to address this
perceived uncanniness of these technologies through the playful "cyborg
zombie" invitation, but I understand that that could be very offensive to
some people questioning their primate-body-identities who have been
harassed or attacked because of other people's fear.

This has been an interesting discussion.  I appreciate all of your feedback
very much.

Here's the new flyer.  Peace everyone!

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Lesley, I want to clarify that my intention wasn't to put you down,
> but rather to suggest an alternative.
>
> I also wanted to say that I grew up somewhere where the holiday was more
> something that everyone celebrated, so I can maybe empathize with how you
> may feel coming here to the Bay where there is more tension around the
> holiday.

> +1 thanks Vicky!
>>
>> On October 28, 2014 12:25:51 PM PDT, Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Lesley,
>>>
>>> I would strongly suggest a language change to the flyer.
>>>
>>> The flyer currently asks: "What would Nov. 1 look like if Dia de los
>>> Muertos was obsolete?" For me, Día de los Muertos is a day to immortalize
>>> my loved ones who have passed away. Given this sentiment, the idea of it
>>> becoming "obsolete" doesn't make sense to me. Also, I'm certain you don't
>>> mean it this way, but I feel like it even borders on judgmental, like it
>>> brushes off that sentiment and the immortality of the event itself. I would
>>> suggest language that asks how Día de los Muertos might be reimagined in a
>>> futurist framework. Does that make sense?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Vicky

Lesley Bell

432-266-0397