[sudo-discuss] Need help Sunday re Alette / Party prep

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:16:17 PDT 2014

It has only to do odd outcomes that sometimes come out of negotiations, in
this case with the event planner. Essentially, she wanted to negotiate down
from $3K (she initially offered $2-3K). I was trying to negotiate up to
$3K. The compromise struck to get it back to 3K involved us
committing volunteers and that was thought of as 'separate' money purely
semantically from the base rate - ie, a base rental rate of $2750, plus at
least ~$200 for having volunteers help with parking bikes and such - the
fact that only the bike parkers were mentioned as justifying this extra
cost for them has only to do with idiosyncrasies of how the negotiations
progressed. All the money should go to omni, because we really need it to
pay our rent. We also aren't paying workers comp insurance (as an
all-volunteer nonprofit), and aren't set up legally yet to pay anyone who
could possibly be considered an 'employee' - we're working on getting that
insurance though.

It is not that different from how the lease was negotiated. You can look at
the lease after the fact and say 'this is a weird lease in some places, why
did they write it like that? Wouldn't it have been simpler to just say it
this other way?' Yes - but to reach the point of agreement where our
interest is represented to the fullest extent accomplishable, it is not
always a direct or straightforward road, but a wind-y one with detours
along the way, and cleaning up the language often results in more detours,
rather than a straight-ahead route -

Essentially it is a side effect of me trying to negotiate as effectively as
possible for the omni, and get as much money  as we can to pay ourselves
back for a lot of the improvements we have been making.

David