[sudo-discuss] Dia de los Muertos fundraiser: is happening?

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:56:22 PDT 2014

I'm actually quite happy that this discussion is happening at sudo, because
these discussions will affect how culture in a diverse oakland is
approached.  As an American born Indian, I'm quite see Indian culture
regularly lifted and abused in all sorts of contexts, especially in white
new age/hippie/techno music circles (having "puja" become a marketing tool
for white folk).  Now, keep in mind that I both actively participate in
said culturally appropriative circles (I love electronic music and can't
really avoid this stuff), and also have puja be a part of my mundane daily
existence in my indian family.

If sudo were to have drug addled sex-pujas, more power to you, I may even
join.  However, by doing so, I believe you'd effectively alienate 98% of
Indians who may otherwise want to participate in sudo otherwise.

In my view, one reason why can be framed by the idea of the "magical
negro":
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro

What's happening is effectively the dehumanization and squelching of the
mundane and day to day life of one or more people.  Now, this happens all
the time with all sorts of culture, so you can't purely blame only white
folks.....  But when you put it in the context of racist immigration laws,
unfair wages, police killings, prisons, real estate redlining, and various
other ongoing real hot, living issues, it is a GREAT way to alienate people
in a community.  At best you run the risk of treating of reducing sacred
elements to being clown like, at worst is pure outright denial of atrocity.

An extreme example of this occurred a few years ago when some white burners
at the bordello decided to throw a "go native" party where they encouraged
other white burners to dress up like indigenous people around the world.
Of course, this pissed off more than a few people.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/burners-torched-over-native-party/Content?oid=1369150

(fast forward to now, I actually now KNOW both the people involved with the
party and folks in the native community, and generally like all of them...
But there *IS* a racial disconnect.  Ask most any brown/black person and
they will have visceral reactions to these sorts of things).

I WANT cultural exchange.  DDM is meant for everyone to participate.   But
in my view, a Dia De Los Muertos party -- if we as a sudo community want to
be truly inclusive to Mexican at s -- should be initiated or at least guided
by someone who is Mexican or Mexican-American.