[sudo-discuss] Dia de los Muertos fundraiser: is happening?

Lesley Bell zvezdalune at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:53:26 PDT 2014

Does it matter that I have, in fact, helped build an ofrenda?

We could change it to English, Day of the Dead, or simply...let go of the
holidays of the past and start celebrating in advance humanity's possible
technological end to death.  I am totally open to changing the name and
theme to Day of the Immortals only.

However, it saddens me to see the assumption thrown out that all cultural
sharing and creative play is exploitative and disrespectful.

We don't know the event's demographics because it hasn't happened yet. It's
a sad assumption that this event is going to be attended by mostly whites.
The purpose of this event is to bring new people into the space and
cross-pollinate all sorts of subcultures.

Humans all die, which is why almost every culture has a celebration of
death. IMO, Dia de los Muertos has a greater emphasis on beauty and
transcendence than does Halloween.

Humans also tend to make incorrect assumptions based on things like skin
color.  87.6% of my life has been lived in POC Hispanic-majority
communities. I have also studied Dia de los Muertos and pre-Hispanic and
Mexican folk traditions academically.

However, I have not ever been mistaken for a POC, not even during my
unfortunate Selena-obsessed dark lipliner teenage phase, so I have not
lived with that kind of racial discrimination directed at me. I will defer
to the opinions of others.

So, does this mean Day of the Immortals is a go?