[sudo-discuss] Beehive Design Collective – event at Omni, Oct 21

Danny Spitzberg stationaery at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:48:49 PDT 2014

Hey Omni booking folks + Sudo and friends,

The Beehive Collective was told by UC to relocate their Tuesday, Oct 21
event. They reached out to Omni through friends at the Gill Tract (see
occupythefarm.org). I know it's last minute, but there doesn't seem to be
anything on the calendar, so I put a hold for them.

Their request is to show their giant, portable murals about global issues
of all kinds at Omni, 6:30–9pm Tuesday, with appx. 25–50 guests. They are
an all-volunteer group on tour but can chip in some $ to Omni.

Before I confirm it this event I want to ask, *Does anyone have any
blocking concerns about this event?*

For more details, here's the blurb:

Based out of small-town Machias across the country in rural Maine, the
Beehive Design Collective is an all-volunteer organization of activists,
artists, educators and organizers. Our main focus is creating and
presenting graphic works about global issues internationally. These
portable murals are teeming with intricate images of plants and animals,
illustrating surreal but meticulously researched scenes of sociocultural
realities in the modern world. Not only are our graphics detailed,
beautiful works of art, but they also are tools in understanding the big
picture of a region's struggles.

Thanks,
Danny

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Danny Spitzberg <stationaery at gmail.com>
wrote:

> PS folks from the Gill Tract and Occupy the Farm (separate groups with
> some overlapping members) intended to host the Beehive folks but ran into
> unfounded blocking from UC campus.
>
> April, might you be open to talking with them about possible collaboration
> for an event of some sort?
>
> Danny
>

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM, april glaser <april.glaser at riseup.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to coordinate them doing a teaching at sudo. I think it'd
>> be a wonderful and edcuational gathering. Let me look at the calendar
>> and get back.
>> On 10/14/14 11:11 AM, yar wrote:
>> > Who wants to invite them to Sudo? :)

this is happening!  a great example of empowered people using creativity to
solve problems.  The bees do intense research on subjects like mountaintop
removal coal mining and now, California Water Politics (which i haven't
seen yet) and then they make a giant poster with compelling artwork that
makes it easy to see the big picture.