[sudo-discuss] [BAPS-Organizing] Re: [omni-consensus] Backspace Space proposal

Sara Larsen saralarsenyoga at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 12:25:11 PDT 2014

 Hi Omni friends,

I feel like I have had a hard morning and I wanted to take Lynice Pinkard’s
advice from her BAPS class “Training Spiritual Warriors” and tell what is
difficult to tell.

I will let you know up front that one of my expectations of the Omni
community is one of mutual support, both of individuals and of
participating groups. What does that mean? TBD for us as a group (I think
we should discuss it!). For me, I'm hoping the rest of this email will come
close to shedding light on this - it's hard to figure out on my own what
the answer would be.

So here goes:

I feel like ever since I put up the Backspace proposal yesterday, there was
flurry of email activity that I personally found both stressful and
demoralizing. I feel like email is not the best place for this
conversation, and that proposals should be simply taken back to groups for
discussion, not vetted on email. That would be my wish. I know that there
are others who disagree.

A few emails let me know, ahead of an in-person discussion, that they were
against the proposal. I heard Helen from FNB say in the last meeting (or
one before?) that she felt that a certain FNB proposal was dead before it
even came to the meeting, due to the email response. I feel very similar,
and I feel exhausted by this. My stress levels are through the roof, and
despite the fact that I have many other non-Omni things on my plate, I feel
pre-occupied with this conversation. I actually had a BACK SPASM while
emailing all of you last night. That’s really not a good sign. The irony of
this in light of the fact that it’s all about starting a wellness
collective should not go by any of us.

Why should I (and others, I assume) feel this way? I feel like I need to
express that I don't feel like this promotes a community of mutual care.
This kind of stress and feeling of hopelessness is NOT what this project is
about. It's not mutual aid.

I can hear imaginary responses to this in my mind and they go something
like this: Sara, this is just you. It's your problem, not the problem of
the email lists or the Omni.

If that is akin to a response any of you might put forward, I would
wholeheartedly disagree ahead of time. And I would say that as a community
project we are compelled to look head-on at issues and feelings such as
these, even if the issues are murky, raised by members.

I’m calling this out with all due respect to the Omni as whole. I have
great love for all of you and for this project. But great love requires
honesty, trust, and the willingness to move through difficulty. That is the
spirit of this email.

Walking in a daze to work this morning, I asked myself, why do I even want
to teach yoga at the Omni? Is this feeling I’m feeling worth it? Here is
what I came up with. Some reasons are political, some personal, others
general:

a)       * I believe in community wellness that is AFFORDABLE. As someone
who herself cannot afford much of the wellness services in Oakland, this
has become increasingly important to me. This is my connection to Backspace
and it’s mission.

I pre * I prefer to work communally with others, in a way that "one that
privileges a more equitable commoning of resources and meeting of human
needs over private interests or corporate profit."

b)       * I have a skill that I can offer, and have not yet offered at the
Omni, via yoga. Yoga is really important to me, which many of my Omni
friends might not realize. It is a moving meditation, allows for release of
emotional and psychological stress, allows the body to both strengthen and
relax and increases immune function. It is a way that I have personally
dealt with anxieties, fears, and weakness. It is one way to assist in
survival in what can be an overwhelming and difficult world. That is, it
helps me to be able to do my work in the world and my hope is that I can
extend that to others.

c)       * I believe in the Omni as a radical community space. I could go
on and on about this, but I’ll just keep it basic. I’ve been working
towards this kind of space in my life for years. I love it with all of my
heart.

d)      * On a personal level, I need a second source of income so that I
can send myself back to school in the Spring. I have no financial miracles
on my horizon, and plan to use any money I make teaching yoga to return to
school. I'd like to support our community and also be able to support
myself, my aspirations and dreams, which I will then in turn return back
into enriching the community.

I’m looking forward to tonight’s discussion of “what is a commons”. To me,
a commons is a space for dialogue, learning and mutual care. It’s not just
a space that can be occupied. It’s not just for sitting in a nearly empty
room with a computer or having a space to sleep on the couch, although
those things can happen there too. More-so, I believe “commoning” means
ACTIVE PARTICIPATION, a going-towards togetherness, a breathing organism
that is attentive to its own collective breath, in other words, attentive
to itself as an organism. It is attentive to itself as “offering”.
“Commons” is the space in which that participation and going-towards
togetherness becomes material. It answers *where*.

And this is our question as a culture. Where can these things happen?

To me, the use of the den as part-time Backspace / part-time Commons offers
the best of all worlds. Backspace will be able to do its work towards
community wellness and care with classes, herbs, massages, meditative
practices, martial arts, and much more. Backspace needs to know that we
have a significant amount of ACCESS (different than USE) to that room. The
sharing of a room with Backspace and Commons IS RADICAL. My “offering” is
yoga. I would like to see my Omni friends be able to offer as well.

I know that I haven’t answered many of the questions that have come up on
this thread. The reason for that is

 a) I feel overwhelmed by them

b) I’m fighting feeling defensive since that is not how I want to engage
with this conversation

c) I’m fighting feeling disappointment and some anger about responses (and
this is before we even sit together to talk in person)

d) it would be easier, faster, more productive and likely more mutually
supportive to each other to answer these questions in person

I’m looking forward to seeing you all tonight, and to talking in person.

Solidarity, love,

Sara