[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] email archives for list members only, except announce?

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 15:25:23 PDT 2014

Concur'd on all points, Matt. If people are concerned about their
contributions being publicly viewable, they can post to 'confidential' or
another private list - or simply have an in-person conversation. I'd like
to know the particular use cases for which we would need closed, private
mailing lists - because I strongly believe that open and transparent
communication and documentation is essential to this project having an
impact not just within our community, but for the wider world. If we intend
to create something greater than ourselves, our methods of organizing, the
problems we face and overcome, the things that bind or break us, our
experiences of creating the space and communicating about it, all of this
is vital and important knowledge we have a responsibility to share so that
others may learn from, iterate off, adapt, fork, and possibly change their
own corners of the world for the better, inspired by what we're doing here.

Let's not keep our history to ourselves. Knowing that our communications
are public and archivable also keeps us accountable to ourselves, each
other, and the world. We should always _expect_ what we communicate online
to become potentially public, and may as well just own it, be responsible
for our words, and communicate with kindness and wisdom - because words are
often the most powerful artifacts we leave behind for future generations to
inherit.

My favorite quote on communication, in particular the debate of dialogue
vs. dissemination and the way in which communication flows from internal
dialogue to outward dissemination:
Justice that is not loving is not just; love that is not just is not
loving. Just so, dissemination without dialogue can become stray scatter,
and dialogue without dissemination can be interminable tyranny. The motto
of communication theory ought to be: Dialogue with the self, dissemination
with the other. This is another way of stating the ethical maxim: Treat
yourself like an other and the other like a self.

(John Durham Peters, Speaking Into the Air: A History of the Idea of
Communication, p. 57)

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://thepyre.org