[sudo-discuss] Wanted: Plastics Caster / Molder

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Fri Nov 21 17:47:41 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM, Eske Silver <eske.silver at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for someone who knows propper casting and molding procedures
> for an upcoming plastics project.
> Thanks!

I'd love to join if someone is willing to instruct in this!

Also, I'm excited about working more with Cx5 and PCL (polycrapolactone
e.g. "ShapeLock" or "InstaMorph"), and have been trying to get a quote for
a bulk buy of PCL. It looks like the minimum purchase is 25 kg in order to
get a good price. One of the cool things about PCL is that it's
biodegradable, and we could potentially do some experiments at CCL to grow
molds that degrade PCL and potentially make safe versions of these molds by
knocking out the genes responsible for toxin production.

I've also been wanting to make a cheap version of this:

http://store.adambeaneindustries.com/collections/products-tools/products/kerr-ultra-waxer-2

I was thinking we could use a couple of super cheap soldering irons (
http://www.harborfreight.com/30-watt-lightweight-soldering-iron-69060-8913.html
), solder some different pieces of metal to the ends to make them more
useful for sculpting and then limit the soldering iron to more reasonable
plastic molding temperatures using a cheap light dimmer (
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10063148/ ). Total cost for a
two-tool set should be about $25 instead of the $400 for the professional
wax molding tool.

Our new member Elyse from last meeting said she knows about armatures so
maybe she knows about plastic molding too?

Links:

http://store.adambeaneindustries.com/products/cx5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone

--