[sudo-discuss] Fwd: SF Net Neutrality event

april glaser april.glaser at riseup.net
Thu Nov 13 10:13:28 PST 2014

Hi there,

I'm April, the main organizer of the event and sudomember :)

We need volunteers, I'll make that pitch soon!

Here's the info:

*Nov. 20: Bay Area Speaks Out for Net Neutrality at San Francisco City
Hall ***

Bay Area and national public interest groups are gathering to call on
the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to enact strong net
neutrality rules at a public event at San Francisco City Hall next
Thursday evening, November 20, titled "Bay Area Speaks: A People's
Hearing on the Future of the Internet." The public is invited to testify
at the event about why the open Internet is an important issue for Bay
Area communities.

The People's Hearing comes at a key moment in the debate over net
neutrality. Last Monday, President Barack Obama issued a statement in
support of full reclassification of the Internet as a telecommunications
service, echoing the demands of the 4-million Americans who have spoken
out in favor of the same reforms throughout the year. Reclassification,
according to Obama, is the best way to achieve strong rules against
blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization online. The FCC's current
proposal does not provide full protections for the Internet and could be
voted on as early as December 11.

What: "Bay Area Speaks: A People's Hearing on the Future of the Internet."

Who: FCC Commissioner Michael Copps; Amy Sonnie, Outreach Director of
Oakland Public Library; Jay Nath, Chief Technology and Innovation
officer for the City of San Francisco; Corynne McSherry, Director of
Intellectual Property at Electronic Frontier Foundation, and Malkia
Cyril, Executive Director of Center for Media Justice, among others

Date: Thursday, November 20

Time: Rally -- 5:30 pm, Hearing -- 7 pm

Where: San Francisco City Hall

1 Dr Carlton B Goodlett Place

"In the coming weeks, the FCC will have to decide whether to listen to
President Obama, and the 4-million people whose voices have been raised
for clear, crisp, and clean reclassification of broadband; or to cater
to a handful of lawyers and lobbyists debating the future of the
Internet behind closed doors," said Malkia Cyril, Director of the Center
for Media Justice. "As an agency with a mandate to protect the public
interest, we at the Media Action Grassroots Network urge the Commission
to keep their eyes on the prize of real network neutrality, grounded in
Title II authority."

"The Bay Area has been the most vocal in the national fight for net
neutrality, and there's a reason: the open Internet is why so many
trailblazing new technologies and artists were born in this state," said
April Glaser, activist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "It's
amazing to have the president's support, but the fight isn't over yet.
We want to make sure the FCC can hear us loud and clear: we won't stand
for a half-baked plan that will /still allow/ slow lanes and /won't/
protect the open Internet."

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee also came out in favor of strong net
neutrality rules over the summer.

The event is free and open to the public. Public testimony will be
submitted to the FCC.