[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

Danny Spitzberg stationaery at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:11:38 PDT 2014

I was super-d-delighted to see Sudoers out at First Friday AND I'm jazzed
about the reboot on April 4th/5th AND curious to know what's being
prototyped for membership. I'm currently renewing my HUB membership
(already 3 years in, a really open-minded organizer is has their community
engagement role) and was prompted to click agree/disagree with the
following:

*I am joining Hub Oakland to become a member of a community of
entrepreneurs, activists, artists, purpose-driven seekers and professionals
acting on our passions and unleashing creativity in ways that make us come
alive! Our aim is to leave a legacy of a thriving, just and sustainable
world. We envision a future where each individual understands that they are
inextricably interconnected to all other beings and the Earth; a future
where every business, organization, or company will take courageous and
mindful action to become a part of the solution and use their potential to
create positive impact and equity for all.* *As a part of this community, I
understand that it is my responsibility to maintain, and advance the
following 8 Hub Oakland Principles:*

   - *Authenticity*: We invite the whole person into the space and create a
      container for authenticity to emerge.

   - *Radical Inclusivity*: We believe in order to create a thriving and
      resilient community all voices and perspectives must be invited to the
      conversation. We thrive because we are diverse and multicultural.

   - *Creativity & Expression*: We believe at the core of transformation is
      creativity. We inspire each other to express our creativity and purpose.

   - *Collaboration*: Our meme is innovation through collaboration. We
      embody the African proverb: “If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want
      to go far, go together”.

   - *Inspiration*: We believe a spark of inspiration has the ability to
      change the world. We consciously create an atmosphere of inspiration.

   - *Respect*: We honor each other’s special gifts and differences and
      keep sacred our physical environment.

   - *Reciprocity*: We value the opportunity to give to our community and
      receive from it.

   - *Effectiveness*: We leverage each other’s strengths and resources and
      gain the knowledge we need to effectively contribute to making a better
      world.

Then I went back and re-read the Sudo purpose/values and membership
sections of the articles at
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Article_1._Purpose

So, my question: has there been any discussion around membership
recruitment/ retention/ rebooting?

Curious,
Danny

p.s. after a raft of raft of other Wednesday commitments, I'm finally done
and will see y'all next Wednesday