[sudo-discuss] [Mesh] 2014.07.30 Server Room Update!

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:14:08 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Somebody <somebody at riseup.net> wrote:
> We have installed some switches on one of the three donated racks.
>
> Yes! We have a surplus of two switch racks.
> Please feel free to provide ideas on what should we do with them, so far we
> have the following ideas:
> a) Jeremy suggested that we should sell them, we can use the cash.
> b) I suggest that we keep one so we can install the spare switches and
> provide a managed switch resset/configuration workshop. And for the second
> one, I suggest, we  offer it as a donation to other hacker space as a symbol
> of solidarity and sisterhood.

Just to be clear - were these racks donated to Sudoroom or Sudo Mesh?

If the latter, I'm ok with whatever that group decides.

If the former, I would advocate for keeping them all. I think rather
than selling the rack, we could potentially make more money renting
space for colo servers to people in our community. Definitely more a
long-term than short-term goal, but I don't think we should start
selling off awesome infrastructure when we're just getting started in
our huge new space!

If we were to share with a sister hackerspace, is there one in
particular that wants it?