[sudo-discuss] need better door policy

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Jul 29 14:31:14 PDT 2014

Last night someone came to the omni and rang the doorbell.

Someone inside Omni answered the door for this person, let them in, and
then asked them questions like "which group are you with" and "who do you
know here" and I guess the interaction didn't go ideally well.

At this point I became aware of the interaction and went over, introduced
myself to both people, and was reminded by the new person that we had met
before at old sudoroom.  I said that the problem was solved and asked each
person if they needed anything else before going about their business, and
they didn't.  The person who opened the door apologized to the person who
had been let in, and they went their seperate ways.

The person who was let in may have felt that they were being questioned
partially because of their race and that of the person who opened the
door.  They may have been right.  Only a scientific study could tell us
whether people are more likely to question someone of a different race in
situations of power and responsibility like letting someone "in".

Rather than continue such experiments, formally or informally, i suggest
we accelerate toward a flat system for situations where a person rings the
doorbell and the person who answers doesn't know them already.  We can be
very specific about the instructions and attach them to a laminated card
tied near the door, so that the person being questioned knows that their
treatment is 100% standard regardless of their race or appearance.

The card should say something like this:

If you answer the door and you don't know the person, ask them their name
or nickname and which group's list they are on.  You can check by typing
their name / nickname into the computer near the front door, and it will
tell you if they are on a list or not. (it may provide a picture or
description depending on that persons' preference)

If they are not on a groups' list, ask them if they are looking for
someone who is present at the Omni right now.  If they say yes, offer to
help them find that person.  (If you don't have time for this, don't
answer the door)

If they are not on a groups' list, and you can't find (with their help)
the person whom they are looking for, you need to decide whether to host
them as your guest or not.

If a group you represent values community involvement, treat this as an
opportunity to introduce a new person to your group by hosting them in the
space while you're there.

Offer them a tour of your groups' space, and tell them about the weekly
meetings and how to get more involved, and how to become a member with
door access (and getting their name on the list).  Don't turn people away
unnecessarily.

If it seems appropriate, ask if they have a specific task they are trying
to accomplish, such as retreiving or dropping off an item.  If they want
to take something, you will have to use your judgement as to whether it's
OK to do so without consulting someone specific about it.  Perhaps they
can help you contact someone you trust over the telephone, or perhaps you
believe them because their story sounds good.  Just do what you think is
best, and keep the person's feelings in mind when proposing an
alternative, such as trying again another time.

Keep in mind that when opening the door to someone without a key of their
own, you are in a position of power over them.  With this power comes
great responsibility, and you are representing your group and the Omni
collective in general to whoever is at the door.  Your actions have the
power to do great damage to years of community outreach, or to welcome
wonderful new people who will bring more great people along with them.

And remember that whatever responsibility you feel about protecting our
spaces from theft of some replaceable piece of equipment is not nearly as
important as your responsibility to treat each person with great respect
and care as you represent your community at the Omni.

Thank you,

the door