[sudo-discuss] [OMNI] Proposals up for consensus

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 00:36:35 PDT 2014

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback and suggestions! I agree with
many of the sentiments expressed on this thread.

I've started organizing the responses to this proposal here:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/omnivoting

I would ask that anyone interested in voting procedures in the Omni
assist in fine-tuning the 'Amendments' section at the top of the page.
You can also join us at the sudo meeting tomorrow or the Omni meeting
Thursday at 7pm. I will do my best to articulate the concerns of
everyone in this thread.

To that end, anyone is welcome to come to a Thursday meeting and speak
to the topics at hand. I would very much like to hand off delegatory
responsibility to another awesome sudoer! (Jeremy? Arnas? Julio?) and
would support a regular rotating sudo delegate.  Yar is also a sudo
delegate - we have been trading the role off as our schedules allow :)
Arnas did a great job standing in for me improv last week when I wanted
to focus on mesh.

I would like to focus on mesh more! I am also involved in three of
Omni's working groups, bottom-lining one of them (though I've slacked a
bit over June/July due to travels). Want to help with communications,
building maintenance, challenging dominant culture, or governance? Have
another idea for a much-needed working group? Ping me, or join the
mailing list, or add to the wiki, or come to a meeting. Omni calendar
is at http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Calendar

Very pertinent to this thread are the notes from tonight's Omni
governance meeting [1], in which we call for decentralization of power
and responsibility through increasing the autonomy of working groups,
propose adoption of a Safe Space Policy / Code of Conduct among all
collectives [2], request that each collective either create a Conflict
Resolution Process or adopt the Omni's (which has adopted Sudo's) [3],
and propose a new meeting format in which we begin our Thursday
meetings with breakout sessions for each working group to work
independently, then report-back to the larger group.

We're doing something awesome here: Making history. All hands on deck!

<3
Jenny

[1]
http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Event:2014/07/22_Governance_Meeting#Action_Items
[2] http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Safe_Space_Policy
[3] http://wiki.omni-oakland.org/w/Conflict_Resolution_Policy

- ----
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé