[sudo-discuss] CA Non-profit & 501c(3) status

Whitney Lawrence whitneyel3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:28:21 PDT 2014

Hello all,
Soliciting donations for SudoRoom will be greatly assisted with a federal
501c(3) status. Without this classification federal tax incentives are not
available to those wishing to donate or to those paying members looking to
write off dues, and soliciting of donations w/o this classification is
legally questionable. Additionally there is the potential for tax exemption
of purchases however this will require (in addition to filing and gaining
approval) an internally developed mechanism for members to benefit when
making SudoRoom related purchases.

Costs of operating a 501c(3)  depend on the amount of revenue. I assume
SudoRoom is below the $2million threshold of revenues so audits will not be
required. There are miscellaneous fees associated with filing yearly
paperwork (all totaled less than $100/yr).

Below are helpful links on the subject and find attached a screen capture
of the current Attorney General Status (note that SudoMesh is identical) in
addition to the published guide for charities, specifically the section
beginning on page 46 "A Summary of Important...".

*list of filings required*:
http://www.hurwitassociates.com/l_s_annual_ca.php

*Information on Form1023*:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1023,-Application-for-Recognition-of-Exemption-Under-Section-501(c)(3)-of-the-Internal-Revenue-Code

*rrf-1*:
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/charities/charitable/rrf1_form.pdf

Thank you for reading and note that I am NOT a qualified tax professional
nor legal expert,
Whit3