[sudo-discuss] robot arm for sudoroom

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jul 17 21:58:00 PDT 2014

tl;dr can we put this giant robot arm at sudoroom?

http://spaz.org/~jake/pix/giantrobot

this is a six-axis robot with controller.  It is actually a MIG welding robot, but we can use it for whatever we want, like a giant 3d printer.  It is intended to be secured in position to the floor, or a platform of some kind, and weld metal pieces according to a program you teach it.

if Sudoroom can offer the space for this item, i think it will be a valuable tool and learning platform for robotics, electronics and mechanics, and an opportunity to develop new uses for tools like this.

After restoring the robot to functional status (by volunteers including me) we can play with it in various ways, like use it to play chess (including flipping the table over if it's about to lose)
Later i think we should attach a plastic melter/auger so that the arm can dispense melted ground-up #2 milk jugs or #1 PET soda bottles, and become a large-volume 3d printer.  we could put a camera and/or primesense on the end of its hand and make it a 3d scanner or computer vision platform…
If sufficient ventilation is provided to its area, it can actually be used as a MIG welding robot if people want.

here are a couple Motoman robots in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e904eHn8MDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQlbx2S-j4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duub_dO_TwU

Q:  What's the catch?