[sudo-discuss] Pseudo Sudo Meeting + Postpone Meetings Until August?

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Thu Jul 17 11:16:33 PDT 2014

i think we could stand to improve our run-up to meetings. designating a
facilitator and scribe at the prior meeting, circulating the agenda and
having a space on the riseup pad for RSVPs? just trying to think of how
to improve with the most minimal increase in effort. let's make next
week a huge meeting and bring lots of n00bs into the fray so it won't be
a question of 'public' access. the omni meetings and omni meta meta
meetings have been increasing exponentially in frequency so alot of
meeting bandwidth has been sunk into those. i just try to avoid all
meetings ever unless there's something of interest on the consensus
agenda.

also i noticed the copy of the articles is not up to date, including
amendments to the safe space policy and conflict resolution that were
passed a few months ago. i'll track them down and revise the main page
with the consensed-upon language. does someone want to take the lead on
drafting a revision to the membership process? i was never that clear on
the mechanics of the recent revisions. was an 'initial pondering'
conducted this week? sounds like we should get them to write something
to the list introducing themselves since there wasn't quorum last night.
my reading of our existing procedure is that we have this week to make
objections, and if there are none then all these prospective members are
ratified at next week's super mega awesome meeting.

also whitney had volunteered to help daniel find a server cabinet for
sudo mesh, which i believe is on the way to the space though not sure
whether as a result of whitney's help. may we all reach 501c3 glory.
"DONATIONS + 501C*

+Whitney came representing a network hardware group after following a
suggestion from Daniel that Sudo should be able to solicit and accept
donations like old networking equipment from school districts when they
acquire new equipment. The group has to be able to accept donations that
are tax-deductible, and this is only possible if Sudo has federal
non-profit status [501(c)(*)], and the Sudo wiki states that process as
pending. It is not clear that a decision has been made. Whitney will
message sudo-discuss and sudo-board about his request for information."

cheers

On 2014-07-17 06:16, yar wrote:

> Sorry i couldn't be there! Out of town for the week. A lot of core members are busy with other things this month, it's true.
>
> I think that's all the more reason to hurry up and allow some NEW people to be members :)
>
> The access control issues are not trivial. Right now only a handful of people are qualified to lock up, due to few keys, still learning the card swipe system, and need for training on how to sweep the building for people. Closing sudo is a harder job than it used to be. And when they go home for the night they have to kick everyone out. It sucks. It means there's social pressure for them to stay up and lose sleep.
>
> And there are definitely other important things sudo needs done asap.
>
> So i say, if some people are too busy, the remaining folks should take ownership!
>
> Thanks for much Vicky for stepping up and doing the meeting/notes!
> On Jul 16, 2014 11:16 PM, "Vicky Knox" <vknoxsironi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks!
>>
>> Not enough people came to the meeting tonight to hold a true meeting and have quorum for approving our three new member requests. I heard that last week's meeting was also sparsely attended. Given that we're in a transition stage, should we consider postponing meetings until, say, August? (And just to get all meta/catch-22 on you, can we even make this decision without holding a meeting? The twilight zone...). Anyway, here are some pseudo notes taken by Julio:
>>
>> People pseudo-present at Sudo Room meeting:
>> +Vicky
>> +Julio
>> +Timothy
>> +Elizabeth
>> +Whitney
>>
>> TO-DO:
>> +Vicky will scrub the wordpress to make sure it's clear that we are now at the new place (someone may have already done this)
>> +Vicky will update the Google Place for Sudo Room +Julio will upload photos for how to access the new Sudo.
>> +Julio will scrub Sudo Room Wiki and Oakland Wiki to make sure it's clear that Sudo Room is now at a new location.
>>
>> NEW MEMBERS
>> +Three prospective members (Timothy, Elizabeth, and Whitney) were waiting for a meeting that didn't happen due to lack of quorum (10 Sudo members) pursuant to the current process for becoming a member: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.1.0_Process_for_becoming_a_member [1]
>> +They will try again next week though Timothy suggested that we may consider having an acceptable process that does not require a quorum at a physical meeting. He had other ideas about making decisions collectively online, when necessary, using reddit or reddit-like tools (including one he recently coded, but is in beta). Timothy will address the Sudo Room community via email with suggestions.
> [...]

Links:
------
[1]
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.1.0_Process_for_becoming_a_member