[sudo-discuss] Server Room Status

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Sun Jul 6 17:12:03 PDT 2014

 >the compressor for that could also provide cooling for the servers.
i think doing experiments on heat recovery and regenerative hx are good
for longterm - using a compressor and refrigerant to cool hot things may
be less green than using fans and just circulating fresh cool air and
letting convection do the work. if there's no objection, we could set up
temp racks where daniel and others propose until we can run coax to a
more optimal area. i finally have some time this week so i'll be around
to assist with low-level tasks in support of setting up basic
infrastructure

cheers

On 2014-07-06 10:00, David Keenan wrote:

> hey guys,
>
> I applaud the effort to find a good, secure server space! I definitely wanna help.
>
> The main issue with using this particular room is, as you can see by looking at the floorplan, the Backspace wellness collective is already paying rent on that particular area (NW groundfloor corner) and will be making their own changes to that space. Backspace is myself, Andrew of course, Margaretha, Athena, and Sarah.
>
> The wellness collective needs quiet - thats partly an attraction for that corner of the building - and, a cabinet full of fans plus almost certainly AC for the cabinet, is loud. Also, it takes up Backspace, and to be honest, i have hard time inamagining Sudo wont need to get into it alla the time, so it seems nonideal to me.
> In general I would think, before using other essentially non-shared areas of the building for Sudo's servers, we would have to actually rule out why building the room in other locations, like Sudo room, wouldnt work, and why we think actually that particular location in someone else's area is really the only place it could work.
>
> Regardless of Bsckspace, having racked & stacked for going on 20 years that would not be my first location in the entire building for a lot of reasons.
>
> Also, a server cabinet / closet does not need to be near the main electrical panel. Nor does it does not need to be near the street.
>
> We could find a room in the basement. There is excellent ventilation to the basement, that just needs a small fix. Also the furnaces are in the basement, and heat from the servers could tap into that venting to actually help heat the building, which could save on energy. Also, there is a plan to build a walk-in in the basement - the compressor for that could also provide cooling for the servers.
>
> In other words, in my view, we should attempt a green solution that ties the serbers into the infrastructure for the building.
>
> :)
>
> On Saturday, July 5, 2014, Somebody <somebody at riseup.net> wrote:

Links:
------