[sudo-discuss] mchawking brain-control round 3

Steve Castellotti sc at puzzlebox.info
Thu Jan 30 19:17:07 PST 2014

Hello all-

	Is anyone interested in more brain-control hacking on McHawking (or wheelchairs in general) on February 22nd?

	Emotiv is hosting a hackathon specifically for EEG control of wheelchair, to benefit a young man in Malaysia, named Albert Wong. Venture Beat has even covered it:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/20/wearables-with-a-purpose-emotiv-rallies-the-community-to-build-a-mind-controlled-wheelchair/

	We've been getting contacted a few times about it and are hoping to attend. I did the original hack with Jake back in 2010 at Noisebridge:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Brain-Controlled-Wheelchair/

	And of course followed up this past August when McHawking was moved to Sudo Room. Here's the wiki page:

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/McHawking_Robot_Hacking

	I'd be curious if anyone else would like to attend and collaborate.

	I guess the second (and bigger) question though would be how would people feel about loaning out McHawking for the day? It looks like the event is being held at 875 Howard Street:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/designathon-for-the-emotiv-insight-wearable-eeg-technology-tickets-9856420820

	Anyway that decision is of course up to members and I wouldn't feel comfortable unless at least one member was in attendance too! I'd be willing to spring for a van rental (or whatever was necessary for transport, BART might even be possible if the batteries are up to the distance).

	Curious to hear everyone's thoughts and feedback.

Cheers

Steve Castellotti