[sudo-discuss] Data Privacy Legal Hackathon, Feb 8-9 in SF

J Clark hello at sl-co.com
Tue Jan 28 21:12:48 PST 2014

Hi Sudoers,

I wanted to share info with you about the Data Privacy Legal Hackathon, which is happening NEXT WEEKEND, Feb. 8-9, locally in San Francisco at the Mozilla offices on Embarcadero. The entire hackathon has three locations:  SF, NYC and London, all with the same format.

In San Francisco we need hackers, makers, engineers, legal scholars, and product folks interested in privacy and personal data issues to participate in whatever way you'd like to. If you have an idea or want to join an existing project team, that would be great! We also need mentors for teams (smaller time commitment), or join us for presentations and prizes at the end Sunday, from 4-6pm.

Did we mention that there are prizes? …and that we're looking for hackers, coders, and UI designers, among others?

The aim of this announcement is to fire up a call to action to legally hack data privacy. We all know it's past time to collaborate and start doing something about the state of privacy and personal data, including the notice and consent work that some of our groups propose. As part of this project, Open Notice is sponsoring a pre-hackathon project to create a Legal Map for hackers to use at the event. We are also working ton a project based on a "use case" called the Consent Receipt Scenario to enable ‘customisers' to control personal information. The links will take you to the current state of that work.

Follow the links below to register, look at projects, and propose your own! If questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/data-privacy-legal-hackathon

Thank you!
Mary Hodder
& Judi Clark