[sudo-discuss] Brand SynBio Vanilla Flavor Competition

mattsenate@gmail.com mattsenate at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 10:14:46 PST 2014

Hey Ali,

I'm skeptical given the lack of cited references that can help us determine if there are detrimental elements or aspects worth further investigation of this new vanilla. I will say I have great respect for some of the work of Friends of the Earth (we can also thank them for our board room table, wall-mounted steel cabinets and a few other items of furniture that Tracy, Marina, and my brother retrieved), and if Patrik's assessment is true, I would be very much inclined to get back in touch with them and help build a better pipeline for assessing the environmental threats and impacts of new technology developments and corporate maneuvers.

This being said, I would be more inclined to engage in creative work as resistance of:

(A) Proprietary, exclusive knowledge of the building blocks and patterns of life.
(B) An exploitative practice that directly and negatively affects workers.
(C) An unfair abuse of the commons.
(D) The use of genetic modification to fuel industrial farming that limits biodiversity, maintains corporate exclusive rights regimes (enforced in the courts), and introduces large-scale changes in the practice of agriculture.

I believe in these circumstances, private interests unjustly are held above that of the commons and of the people of Earth.

// Matt